easy come easy go

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It looks like I am going to loose my entire crop this year. For the second time in history it seems like it will freeze and or frost about the 15th of April. The latest to plant tomato's here is normaly April 1 - 7. I have 91 tomato plants, 200ft of pole beans, 400ft of sweet corn plus a bunch of other stuff. My tomato's are heavily mulched and my entire garden is drip irrigated. The weather is forcasted to be 30-32f with 15-25mph winds. So, being the optimist that I am I am going do what I can to at least lesson the effects of this cold spell. Whether it works or not I will let you know later. What I am going to do, and have already started to do, is to completely soak and to continue to water all of the tomato plants. Tomorrow morning I am going spray on all of the plants with a heavy mixture of liquid seaweed and molasses. All of my plants are too big to cover and even if I could afford all of the Nsulate cloth to cover them the wind would just blow it away. I am not to worried about freezing but frost is a killer. It can frost at 38F

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Goodness, sorry to hear that Chuck :( Sounds like you are taking some good preventative measures so I hope it means you don't lose the entire crop! Let us know how it goes.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I hope the weather is not as bad as you think it will be and will not harm your plants too much. It has been a hard winter for so many across the world.

Keep us posted.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I got real lucky. It got down to 30F but only for a couple of hours. What was bad was the wind yesterday. It blew 25-30 mph steady with gusts up to 50, all day. It literally shredded my pole beans and blew the tops of off a bunch of determinate tomatoes plus broke a bunch of major branches off. Somehow the indeterminates were hardly affected. But the poor folks just to the north and south of me got completely wiped out by hail. I guess my anti-hail dance worked.........................knock on wood

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So sorry to hear this! Mother nature sure could throw a curb ball, couldn't she? I hope it gets warm up for you so your garden, which sounds absolutely divine, can perk right back up. We have hope, don't we? :)

Ask a Question