Easiest you've grown?

Reaction score
What's the easiest vegetables you've grown? Are there any vegetables that are almost "set it and forget it," in terms of low maintenance?

Reaction score
Cucumbers is the easiest if i don't have an extremely wet summer. If its too rainy it kills my cucumbers, I learned that this year.

Reaction score
I don't really grow many vegetables, but my ginger plant can handle a lot of neglect and doesn't need to be babysat. My neighbor's chili pepper plants also seem to be resilient because sometimes he goes out of town for days and they still thrive.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
What's the easiest vegetables you've grown? Are there any vegetables that are almost "set it and forget it," in terms of low maintenance?

Not many. Most things need tending, weeding, feeding, protecting from extremes of temperature, watering and protecting from pests, fungal attacks, birds, mice, squirrels, rats, badgers etc.

Reaction score
Cucumbers. I was just 16 years old when I planted some cucumbers, my dad gave me the seeds and I just planted them. Several plants popped up and the cucumbers only kept on growing! I had to give away some to my sister, because I was getting many. I was working with a very limited space, so I'm surprised they did so well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
In my opinion growing squash is really easy. I'm not sure if it's the easiest vegetable ever, but it definitely doesn't require any special skills to grow it.
I wish I liked squash:confused:

Reaction score
You can grow almost anything if you give it the right environment. I find that people have problems gardening when they are trying to grow something out of its element. I planted ten different lettuce types in my garden and they sprouted in one day because it was moist and sunny.

Reaction score
I would also say squash. I never had any trouble with zucchini. Those things will grow and grow.

Reaction score
I would have to say tomatoes. The roma and the cherry types. I have a hard time with the big tomatoes but the smaller variety I usually get lots of produce. I like putting the cherry tomatoes in large pots on the front porch. Easy access to water, feed and pick!

Reaction score
Think most of the vegetables I grow, would easily fall into the easy category, but like others have said, there are not many that could be classed as truly low maintenance or 'set it and forget it', as most vegetables require some form of attention in one form or another, in order to provide you with a bountiful harvest. :)
Apart from squash and zucchini which seem to require no human intervention at all, particularly as they actually seem to plant themselves, wherever they want and just keep returning year after year - whether you want them or not :D

Reaction score
In my opinion growing squash is really easy. I'm not sure if it's the easiest vegetable ever, but it definitely doesn't require any special skills to grow it.
I wish I liked squash:confused:

I can believe that squash is easy to grow because some started growing in my yard and I hadn't even planted them! A neighbor's seeds must have blown into the yard. It was amazing to see.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree with the statement most plants are easy to grow it is the weeding and watering and thinning out that is most of the work. I like to grow pole beans.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I can believe that squash is easy to grow because some started growing in my yard and I hadn't even planted them! A neighbor's seeds must have blown into the yard. It was amazing to see.
Wow, it must have been a wonderful surprise for you:D But I'm sure that it was also quite confusing. I would feel weird if I went to my garden and found a vegetable that I didn't plant there:p

Reaction score
Tomatoes, are the easiest I have ever grown. Seemed like they are fighters.

I had one grow back, a year later, after I thought it had died.

I went by the plant one afternoon, and there was itzy bitzy tomato sprouting. :)

Ask a Question