Easiest Vegetables

Reaction score
I'm curious to know what are the easiest vegetables to grow in people's personal experience? I noticed that potatoes, tomatoes, and greens seem to grow easily with minimal effort but other vegetables that I would think would be easy like carrots come out small and nothing like the hearty ones you see in the grocery store.

Reaction score
I'm curious to know what are the easiest vegetables to grow in people's personal experience? I noticed that potatoes, tomatoes, and greens seem to grow easily with minimal effort but other vegetables that I would think would be easy like carrots come out small and nothing like the hearty ones you see in the grocery store.
I started out with Summer Squash, Green Beans and tomatoes. All were pretty easy and very successful. Cucumbers were as well. Good luck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Tomatoes were my first vegetables, in my opinion they are very easy to grow. Another vegetables good for beginners are radishes, they always grow big and delicious, I love them:D

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Grew my first Beetroot when I was about 7, they're not too fussy.

Carrots like a good soil, but not one that's been recently manured, they need thinning out as they grow too.

Reaction score
We mainly grow potatoes, courgettes, tomatoes, spring onions, garlic, runner beans, herbs, chilis, beetroot, lettuce.

We tend to find that most vegetables that we grow are easy. I think the main vegetables that I have struggled with or have been told to grow are cauliflowers - which is a shame as I absolutely love cauliflower.

Admittedly we have struggled with pretty much everything this year apart from the potatoes and runner beans.

Reaction score
The easiest thing I have ever grown is jalapeno peppers. The plants lasted two years and produced off an on all year long. It was really nice to be able to run out to the yard whenever we needed one and plenty were given away to neighbors. How many of them can one household eat anyway? I didn't have such great luck with my bell peppers, but the banana peppers did fairly well with no work involved except a little watering.

This was when I lived in a warmed part of the country. Where I am now, we have all four seasons, so it's more difficult.

Reaction score
In my garden, the easiest things to grow is potatoes. Everything else seems to vary from year to year - the tomatoes went crazy last year but aren't liking this cool summer we're having this season, but the peas that wilted in a hot June last year produced into late July this year. Last year a plague of cucumber beetles damaged a lot of my plants and hurt our harvest, and this year the insect-pollinated plants are vining beautifully but not producing much. But the potatoes just plod along no matter what weather or pest quirk comes along to bother the other plants, and every year I have a nice harvest of spuds.

Jed

Reaction score
Potatoes are about the easiest thing suited to my climate.Once harvested any left will sprout the following season and are needed to be pulled out as a weed to make room for the next lot of vegetables. Garlic is another one suited but all the rest of the vegetables require a lot of TLC.

Reaction score
I think you guys convinced me to grow potatoes for next season. :) Another nice thing about potatoes will be the long storage life. Other veggies have to be used up so fast that it's either feast or famine. Potatoes last and last and can be made so many different ways. Yes, that's it! I'm growing some next year! Thanks, everyone!

Jed

Reaction score
Potatoes for storage are best not washed/rinsed first. Air dry on a sunny day on a plastic sheet and turn to dry the soil so most of it falls off.
Store in paper or better still burlap/hessian bags which can be purchased from agricultural suppliers.
Keep these bags in a cool, dark, dry, place preferably with air movement at around 48F/10C.
Ensure rats don't get to them and check bags every so often to remove any potatoes that are not storing so well.
:)

Reaction score
That is some great advice, Jed. It's much appreciated. I knew most of that, but I didn't know that potatoes should not be washed before being stored. I guess that makes sense. It would promote mold growth. Do you think they can be washed and then put out to air dry?

I've always found cucumbers to be a rather easy thing to grow too. They can be a little picky, though, and consistent watering is important.

Jed

Reaction score
What I've noticed from my own experience from washing is that the potato after it's allowed to dry seems to take on a bruising of the skin. I have wondered whether it had something to do with the cold water that comes out of my hose pipe or the effects of being washed.

Reaction score
Well, Jed, I will most definitely take your word for it since I have never grown potatoes. What about sweet potatoes or yams? Have you ever grown them? Are they just as easy to grow?

Ask a Question