Dying sky pencil holly

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone. I bought these two sky pencils about 2 months ago. I loved them and they were doing great until the last 2 weeks or so. We were away for the holiday weekend and I'm afraid that they've browned so much that they can't come back.

I live in zone 7. The plants have remained in the pot (the card says that's okay). They get partial sun. Two weeks ago we had a very dry few days. I think that might have been what started their downfall. But we've been better about watering them but they are still almost all dried up. I just trimmed about 3 inches of completely dry branches off the top.

What do you think? And is there any chance of saving them by watering more or planting in soil?
14677330447651432597264.jpg
1467733104555-1218697010.jpg

NatalieW

Certified Herbalist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
It may be very pot bound and not enough soil is around it's base of roots, so when you do water it, the water won't last for very long. If you plan on keeping plants like this potted, the nursery pots are not the way to go .... pull them out of their pots and see if they have good loose soil all around them ... if not, pot into larger pots with good drainage ....ones that can hold a good moisture controlling potting soil mix. Being holly, there is a good chance for them to bounce back, but it might be awhile before they look good again.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

If possible, plant your Sky Pencil Japanese Holly (Ilex crenata 'Sky Pencil') in the ground. Once established it will grow much better and not be susceptible to drying out if you leave for the weekend. It is a handsome shrub, but also a common, utilitarian one used in basic landscaping. There is little benefit to placing it in a situation where it will need such constant attention.

Ask a Question