Dying pygmy palm .. Help.

Reaction score
Country
Kuwait
Hello,

Please help. I bought pygmy palm about month ago and it was all green. the moment it arrived the fronds start to turn brown one after another until now almost all dry brown. i’m not sure what went wrong where i used to water it 2 L every 2 days for the first 2 weeks, then i read it might be from over watering it and i made it 1 L every 4 days, but i guess it didn’t work.

please have a look on the pictures and let me know if you have any advice, also is it completly dead from what it looks ?

Attachments

• B6EA2AB1-3305-497D-AE88-D03B729077D4.jpeg
    B6EA2AB1-3305-497D-AE88-D03B729077D4.jpeg
    224.2 KB · Views: 59
  • 5A32E1D5-916A-4EA2-8620-809C2AAB117A.jpeg
    5A32E1D5-916A-4EA2-8620-809C2AAB117A.jpeg
    206.3 KB · Views: 58
Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Pygmy Date Palm (Phoenix roebelenii ) is a slow-growing, frost-tender palm (Arecaceae) native to Yunnan and southeastern Asia. It needs regular water with good drainage and does best in full or partial sun.

It looks like the palm in the OP suffered from either insufficient irrigation or excessive water due to poor drainage, perhaps even both.

Firstly, both the soil and container must drain properly. If not, conditions amenable to root rot will soon develop.

Secondly, do not water a plant on a set schedule. Always observe the plant's health and soil conditions before irrigation, especially when it is a new plant in a new location. If the plant shows signs of wilting or water stress, it should be watered but don't let wilt repeatedly be the indicator. Letting the soil surface become dry is often a good indicator that it is time to water again, though that will depend on the plant and environment. When you do irrigate, water the soil column completely, so that water drains from the container.
If the plant is in a location where you must use a saucer, either water it elsewhere (if it is a small container) or drain the saucer after watering. A third option is to elevate the container so that it does not sit in the saucer puddle.

Ask a Question