Dwarf Cherry Trees?

Reaction score
I'm hoping to eventually get a cherry tree but I specifically want a type that is dwarf. Does anyone have experience with dwarf variety? I prefer the dark, almost black, colored type of cherries but I am not sure if there are dwarf varieties of these. Is anyone aware of this type?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
From my experience there are no dwarf cherry trees. Even semi dwarf trees get pretty big. Had a four-way semi dwarf for about twenty years. It kept growing as tall as the power lines and took a great deal of maintenance, pruning twice a year. Have four different varieties of sweet cherries was a delight though. Some of the pie cherry varieties have trees that aren't as vigorous and don't need as much heavy pruning. Mine wasn't as long lived though and died after about 15 years. It might have been the root stock.

Reaction score
I have a North Star cherry that is 25 years old and only 7 feet tall, but it is a pie cherry. It yields enough to make a couple of pies most years, or enough to make a generous amount of ice cream topping. And, the cherries are bright red instead of dark!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United Kingdom
Have a look at this webpage for information regarding root stocks and their various characteristics

Fruit trees are propagated onto rootstocks. The rootstock is the most important factor in determining the vigour and eventual size of the tree. The choice of rootstock is therefore very important as it will determine the suitability of the tree for the position and the form in which you intend to grow it. Please find below a list of rootstocks and their characteristics.

http://www.keepers-nursery.co.uk/rootstocks.aspx?fruittype=99

Reaction score
Great info everyone. I checked out the root stock page you referenced Martin. I am glad to see that the Gisela 5 rootstock is 8 to 10 ft tall at maturity. I did another brief search and found that there is also a Gisela 3 that is a dwarf variety but doesn't appear to be available yet to the home grower http://www.cdb-rootstocks.com/english/e_produkte_kirsche_gisela3.htm . Now I just need to research and find out where I can get the sweet dark cherries on the Gisela 5 rootstock.

Reaction score
Rainer cherry is one of the shortest of the bunch, I am growing one of those. I am not sure that is what you are looking for, but it is always nice. I don't think there are any dwarf varieties of cherry trees. Maybe you could make one.

rockygapgardens

Rocky Gap Gardens
Reaction score
Country
United States
Good question. The height of the tree at maturity would depend on the rootstock that was chosen, more than the cherry variety.

Rootstock for Cherry trees are almost always Mazzard, Mahaleb or a Gisela.

Mazzard is the standard, full-sized. Maheleb is slightly dwarfed, but more suited for unsweet cherry varieties. And, Gisela. Gisela 3 or 5 would be a good dwarf roostock option.

Remember: All sweet cherry trees will need another variety nearby, for cross-pollination.

Some good producing varieties to consider Bing Cherry (#1), Cristalina, Rainier, Black Tartarian, York.

Ask a Question