Dwarf Alberta Spruce Top Turning Brown Loosing Needles

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a-6b
Country
United States
I have a dwarf Alberta spruce that is about 6' tall. It's been slowly turning brown at the top and loosing it's needles where it's brown. Slowly making its way down. The affected area is about 8". I've read it could be spider mites. I sprayed the tree with mite control on a hose attachment. Just trying to get all ideas of what this could be. I will continue to treat it with mite control. Heres a pic.

20151121_094049.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

You read that it might be Spider-mites (Tetranychidae, Acari), but did you find any signs or symptoms of Spruce Spider-mite (Oligonychus ununguis) or other species? If the problem is not Spider-mites, spraying miticide is worse than useless.

Terminal dieback, such as seen on this Alberta Spruce (Picea glauca var. albertiana, possibly a hybrid) is more likely due a problem with the tree's vasculature. It would be good to investigate the soil drainage root conditions of this tree.

Ask a Question