DVD/CD Players

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
The one I had for about fifteen years gave up the ghost just before Christmas. I looked on Curry's web site and was surprised how poor were the options.
Anyway I bought a basic one for £34. (half the size of the old one). The only other option was a Blue Ray one for about £100. I've since learned that there's little demand for basic DVD/CD players and even less for Blue Ray machines because of the advent of Streaming.

It worked fine until last week, not that I used it that often, but developed a noisy hard drive. So I e-mailed Currys. They replied within 3 days, they apologised and told me take into the nearest Currys store where I'd be given a replacement as they don't repair them. I just had to copy the e-mail as it had a code. In the meantime they'd gone up to £37. But are still "as cheap as chips."

I'm getting an excellent picture on it as I do from the two Humax tuner/recorders and my Virgin Tivo box. (You won't believe the number of cables there are hidden behind there).

I checked out my 25 year old VHS player (on the bottom). At the time a quality machine. This only has scart sockets so I have to use a scart to USB adapter, no scart socket on the TV.
I use this sometimes as I've still several film noir on tape rather than DVD. It's noticeable how poor now is the definition of stuff I recorded off the TV twenty years ago compared with contemporary recordings. Makes me wonder why I keep it.

Ask a Question