dry? mold? 38 year old man who has never kept a plant w/o killing it needs help

Reaction score
Got this kit from Urban Farmer and am super excited about it!

I chose basil, parsley, and oregano. I had so many questions about how to deal with the dry compact dirt and how many seeds to plant and how far to space them.... I did that all as well as I could and see some sprouts, which I'm thrilled with.

I don't know what's up with that kind of white substance on the top. I hope it's visible in the photo. It's most noticeable on the far right yellow pot, and the basil on the left has none!

Is this.... a problem? Please feel free to give any advice whatsoever, like I should plant more seeds in the middle pot, or water less, or more, or.... anything. All pointers welcome.

Thank you!

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 394
  • photo(1).JPG
    photo(1).JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 383
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum! :) How often are you watering?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think you may be giving it way too much water. Most plants only need water about once a day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'd agree with Rosyrain, that's too much. You want to keep the soil moist, but seedlings are so small they don't need a lot of water. Try cutting back on how much you water them and hopefully the mould will not be a problem.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Far, far, far too often.
Don't water for a week, unless plants begin to wilt, then only very sparingly, or you'll kill them all with kindness.

The single greatest cause of death to cultivated small plants is overwatering, so don't feel bad about what you've done; we've all done it.
Just learn, like I had to.

Welcome to the forum.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If you have any whole ground cornmeal (not the enriched kind) sprinkle it on the soil and it will get rid of the mold. And don't water so much

Ask a Question