Drug store starters

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Each year I see shelves and shelves of starter flowers and plants at the local drug stores. Is it worth it to buy these plants or are they of low quality and will die quick?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
You can get some halfway decent plants. The trick is to buy them when they just arrive. Anything more than a few days, and I wouldn't touch them due to being mishandled by a drugstore employee, who could give a flying hoot on how to care for them.

Reaction score
Yeah! I have gotten some really nice things from the drug store in the past =D I'm sure you can find something really nice, but you need to be careful and inspect the plant really well before buying it.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have gotten some good plants that most people would have walked away from. Just know that all of them will not make it no matter how much love and care you give it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
As long as the plants look healthy, it doesn't really matter where they come from - unless they are edibles, and then you'll want to know they are certified pesticide free. Most of the plants in the drugstore are baby houseplants. Ask if the store guarantees the plants and if they will take them back if there is a problem.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Most of my miniature roses were bought in supermarkets and they all grow beautifully. If there were plants in drugstores in my area, I would buy them without any hesitation:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for the information everyone, I will have to consider buying a few next time I go to the drugstore. They seemed to be priced nicely so I won't have to spend a fortune to get some color on my back deck this spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I've gotten really interesting selections like clematis and passiflora at the drugstore before so I'd give it a shot. If the plants are healthy then you should be alright.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You're a gardener by nature. Check the live plants to make sure they're unharmed in anyway. Poke your finger into their dirt, to make sure they've been taken care of and not deprived. Check leaves for any site of invaders. Then if you're good, buy them. This of course refers to their Garden/Produce sections.

Failing that, seeds in packets are good. It's all in how the seeds are raised that will make the difference.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Maybe it's weird, but I like buying very weak, small and sick looking plants. Looking at them breaks my heart, I always want to take a good care of them and make them happy:D

Reaction score
Country
United States
Maybe it's weird, but I like buying very weak, small and sick looking plants. Looking at them breaks my heart, I always want to take a good care of them and make them happy:D

I get that feeling too, but I have no idea (at least where I am in the USA) how long those were sitting in the shelves or outside with no attention. You might end up buying one that looks like it's dead to just find out it's not savable and you've wasted money.

On the other hand, you can bring them back to life if you have the "Green Hand" instead of the Green Thumb :LOL:

I just had no luck with store ones that look they're about to kick. My thumb hasn't evolved into a hand yet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I get that feeling too, but I have no idea (at least where I am in the USA) how long those were sitting in the shelves or outside with no attention. You might end up buying one that looks like it's dead to just find out it's not savable and you've wasted money.

On the other hand, you can bring them back to life if you have the "Green Hand" instead of the Green Thumb :LOL:

I just had no luck with store ones that look they're about to kick. My thumb hasn't evolved into a hand yet.
Mine hasn't either, but I keep practicing my skills:D Saving unhappy plants is such a beautiful thing to do!:D I'd rather waste a dollar or two than let them die. I wouldn't buy an expensive, sick-looking plant though, because I can't afford it:(

Ask a Question