Drought tolerant mint

Reaction score
Country
United States
as my name states, i've never gardened before. i want to start by growing mint, but i'm at school most of the day, and on top of that, i leave every Thursday and don't come back until Sunday. which type of mint can go the longest without water?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've moved this post to a new topic so that it gets more attention. Welcome to the forum! :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Welcome! Mint does well in constantly damp, not soggy, soil. Do you have your heart set on growing mint? If not, there are quite a few herbs that will do well without constant watering--rosemary, marjoram, basil, thyme, even parsley. Being in school all day isn't a problem--just water before you leave or after you get home. The Thursday-Sunday gap can easily be survived by the herbs mentioned above.
Tell us where you are in the USA and what your climate is like. We are in Texas, and I'd be very hesitant to give herb growing advice to someone in Montana, for instance!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @NeverGardenedbefore, it is good to have you on board. Mint is a really good plant to start off with, and I hope you enjoy the exercise - gardening is a brilliant subject to take up as an interest. All plants like a drop of water on a regular basis, but most mints are quite tough. I imagine you can buy water retaining gel there in the USA just like we can here in the UK, so if you use this in the compost (or soil) of any plant you want to grow, it will keep the roots moist for at least a week, and not need attention very often. It will also be a good idea to put your plants in a place where they will get at least some shade for a good part of the day.

Ask a Question