Droopy jalapenos

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I moved to plant to a more sunny location a few weeks ago. I quickly saw an increase in peppers, but now it's beginning to droop. It does look a little better at night, but not fully. It is getting plenty of water as needed when top inch or so is dry. Anything to be concerned with?

IMG_20180622_143708254_HDR.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Well it has been a good bit hotter the last few weeks. I have it a good drink and will see how it looks in the morning. I hope it's ok, it's really starting to produce!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
The far radiation off those brick pavers is probably helping overheat the plants(s). Plus there is mica in them which has a reflective property. Use a non contact thermometer. Once past 110f or so it gets harsh.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The far radiation off those brick pavers is probably helping overheat the plants(s). Plus there is mica in them which has a reflective property. Use a non contact thermometer. Once past 110f or so it gets harsh.

Had not thought of that, thanks. I have an IR thermometer, I'll check it tomorrow.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, agree totally with DM. Remove the pot away from any bricks, pavings or any wall which will give outretained heat will help enormously as even at night, the plant is baked by the heat given out by the pavers. By the look of it, dung it in water for 3 hours in the morning might be better than watering. Add a weak feed as the fruits are plain for all to see. You could also add a bit of horticultural grit on top of the compost to prevent heat loss. Morning sun is what most plants want. Fruiting beautifully, @vette-kid !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I would also be temped to feed it as well with a good liquid food intended for Chilli's and or Epsom salts just to give it a spark after you've done all of the above....Lets know how you get on ...

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I would also be temped to feed it as well with a good liquid food intended for Chilli's and or Epsom salts just to give it a spark after you've done all of the above....Lets know how you get on ...

Men, their hot chillies and their bragging right! LOL!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks everyone. I had completely overlooked the convection heating from the pavers. I'm going to rearrange things today. Problem is, this is the most sunny spot I have. I moved them here because they were ripening VERY slowly and I believe it was lack of sun. Sore enough it's fruiting much better now, but with long sunny days in the upper 90's the leaves are getting cooked here.

Odd thing, the two citrus next to it seem to be flourishing. They have been there since spring. They are in much bigger pots though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Thanks everyone. I had completely overlooked the convection heating from the pavers. I'm going to rearrange things today. Problem is, this is the most sunny spot I have. I moved them here because they were ripening VERY slowly and I believe it was lack of sun. Sore enough it's fruiting much better now, but with long sunny days in the upper 90's the leaves are getting cooked here.

Odd thing, the two citrus next to it seem to be flourishing. They have been there since spring. They are in much bigger pots though.
You may have gotten to the root of the problem! I do not grow citrus but do grow some peppers. I believe a lot of citrus have tropical origins but not not so much the pepper group though I am sure I have a 50\50 of overstating my knowledge.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
FWIW the smaller black plastic pot the pepper is in absorbs a lot of heat, pavers notwithstanding. Get a slightly larger white container and I bet all your problems will go away. The temperature at the root zone is the culprit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
FWIW the smaller black plastic pot the pepper is in absorbs a lot of heat, pavers notwithstanding. Get a slightly larger white container and I bet all your problems will go away. The temperature at the root zone is the culprit.
I was thinking about that too actually. For some reason most of the pots available around here seen to be black/dark??? I'll have a look though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You may have gotten to the root of the problem! I do not grow citrus but do grow some peppers. I believe a lot of citrus have tropical origins but not not so much the pepper group though I am sure I have a 50\50 of overstating my knowledge.

Makes sense to me! At 10am it's now 91° with a heart index of 107°. It's looking much better this morning after a good drink last night and moving it off the pavers a bit with the citrus sitting between it and the pavers hopefully blocking some heat. I'm going to move a temp sensor over there to monitor it.

Right now that sensor is in a 27 gal container on the side if the house and showing a temp at soil level of 86 and the soil 2 inches down about the same. In that container it shows the soil staying between 80-90 all day long. I'll have to check the ground temp and see how that different between the actual ground soil and the pots.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Let me say that the smallest layer of water absorbs tremendous IR. Think a summer bucket of water in which you "float" the pot. now a bit of trouble and some waterproofing of a drain tube and it becomes a more permanent pot design.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Ok, so soil 3 inches down is 92°. Side if the pot is almost 130° and the leaves are just over 100°! Although it is way less droopy so far, so I think it's an improvement.

Ask a Question