Dried up Topiary plant

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I need an expert advise regarding my dried up "Boulevard cypress pompom topiary" I wonder if I can still revive the plant? If so, How? I've been watering the plant everyday after I replanted it on the ground.
I downloaded some pictures of it. I'm heart broken because they were very pretty when I bought it from the nursery.
PLS help. Thank you very much.

Bitbit from Ca

Attachments

• 20210521_104346.jpg
    20210521_104346.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 20210521_104341.jpg
    20210521_104341.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 77
  • 20210521_104321.jpg
    20210521_104321.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 64
  • 20210521_104245.jpg
    20210521_104245.jpg
    338.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 20210521_104233.jpg
    20210521_104233.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 67
Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Boulevard' is an elegant silvery-blue dwarf conifer that is often grown naturally as a conical shrub, but can also be variously shaped by the art of topiary. It is a cultivar selection of the Sawara Cypress (Chamaecyparis pisifera), native to central and southern Japan.

Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Boulevard' wants full sun conditions, at very least half a day. It also wants regular water with well-drained soil, preferably somewhat acidic. It does not want to be watered everyday.

The posted photos literally show only a snapshot in time, but it does seem as though the branchlet tips may be desiccated ...and we know that it is not due to a lack of irrigation. If a newly planted and irrigated shrub is immediately wilting, there are two possibilities.
The first is that it already has a compromised root system due to root rot, and the second is that it was not planted properly and water is not reaching the rootball. Either way, the newly planted* topiary should be immediately dug up and the rootball examined. If the root ball is wet and the roots are discoloured and half-rotten, it is the former case. Either return the plant to the nursery, if possible, or re-pot the topiary in a container and try to give it convalescent care. Depending on the severity of the rot, the prognosis will vary from somewhat possible to completely impossible. However, if the rootball is dry, then all the irrigation water has somehow wicked away from the rootball leaving the plant dry and wilted. In this case, first soak the root ball in a bucket overnight. Weigh it down if necessary. The rootball should stay submerged. The following morning replant it as follows. Incorporate compost or other organic soil amendment into the planting hole. The topiary should be planted on a slight mound, about six inches higher than the surrounding soil. Also form a shallow moat slightly outside the edge of the original rot ball. Mulch the bed with several inches of bark or wood chips and water it in.

* I know that this reply is a full six months later on. Since comeing to this Forum, I have tried to improve the turn-around time. It would be wonderful to hear back from the OP to find out how his or her topiary troubles ultimately turned out. In any case, this advice will still help those in the future who seek a solution to similar problems.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah dude, but that bit about well drained soil? That means half perlite, right? ;)
The species grows in volcanic, forest soils, but even well-managed clay is possible. I would amend with organic matter and mound the plant. One can bring in some elements of a raised bed without actually having retaining walls.

Ask a Question