Dried up 'European Cypress'

Reaction score
Country
United States
Purchased a "European Cypress" as the tag read you can establish the plant with some indoor care and later transfer outdoors or to a larger pot. It's become dry and brittle and I'm worried it may be on its way out. I live in Southeast Alaska in a smaller apartment. Not much natural light inside due to the mountains and winter time. Help!

Attachments

• IMG_3915.JPG
    IMG_3915.JPG
    198.4 KB · Views: 1,927
  • IMG_3914.JPG
    IMG_3914.JPG
    278.1 KB · Views: 829
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
They're not great indoor plants to be honest, it would be far happier outside. They like good drainage and full sun, and are tolerant of very low temperatures once they are established. I guess it might be too late for your little fella unfortunately :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I agree with Becky it would be better outside in a sheltered place but I've just noticed you are in Alaska, if you have 'minus' temperatures that's not a good idea at the moment. It could be that it's roots are pot bound, try putting it in a larger pot mixing a little fertiliser like blood, fish and bone if that's available to you, with the new soil. They are also thirsty trees and best kept in a cooler area of your home.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I tried bonsai evergreens years ago here in Michigan...not quite as cold as Alaska probably but still plenty cold!

Anyhow, I think Sheal probably nailed it. As I recall, bonsai does best when treated as an outdoor tree, as it properly is. Outdoor trees make it just fine in harsh winters naturally, so I would put that baby in a large pot and somewhere cool or even cold. If it can't make it being a pampered potted tree indoors, it probably won't make it outdoors in "the wild" right?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@Beth_B I don't think Sophia's tree is likely to be a bonsai, it's to well developed and probably why it's not thriving inside.

Here's some information for you @Sophia.

http://coastalnursery.com/european-cypress/

Oh I know the OPs tree isn't a bonsai...I guess I didn't articulate my point well. Which is that whether full-size or bonsai, trees need the same care and conditions. And most trees don't do great indoors...and if indoors, giving it as much "outdoor" experience as possible is important.

Ask a Question