JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My native garden attracts a large amount of dragonflies of many different species. I live near some natural ponds, and have my own garden pond, so the area is teeming with all kinds of dragonfly activity. My garden serves as a good hunting ground for them. I thought I'd share some of my photos taken over the last two years. If you've taken photos of dragonflies, or even damselflies, feel free to share.

IMG_7134 copy1.jpg

IMG_9229 common whitetail skimmer.jpg

IMG_9548 copy1.jpg

IMG_2992 copy.jpg

IMG_3005 copy.jpg

IMG_3008 copy.jpg

IMG_3255 copy.jpg

IMG_4873 copy.jpg

IMG_4948 copy.jpg

IMG_4968 copy.jpg

IMG_4903 copy.jpg

IMG_0191 copy.jpg

IMG_0200 copy.jpg

IMG_9943 copy.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
nice shots. I also have a few that show up. heard many years ago they live very short lives, like either 24 or 48 hours.

They can live a few months in their adult stage. Exact lifespan depends on the specie. Before they reach the adult stage, they can live months or even years as larvae.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
JB Could you send me your camera make and model please, if you don't mind that is? Would love to get one that can do close up like that. My Samsung can't do close up and could capture orange. Thank you in advance.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
JB Could you send me your camera make and model please, if you don't mind that is? Would love to get one that can do close up like that. My Samsung can't do close up and could capture orange. Thank you in advance.

Canon Powershot SX160 IS

Very inexpensive. I'd definitely recommend it for those looking for inexpensive cameras with decent quality.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
It's amazing! I thought it was difficult to take photos of dragonflies. They are too fast. Usually they come to my garden from the river for hunting, colorful, big and small.

31.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Canon Powershot SX160 IS

Very inexpensive. I'd definitely recommend it for those looking for inexpensive cameras with decent quality.

Thank you so much. Will study with son, so it is for both of us! It's going to be worth it. My son could take a video of train arriving with study hands! Trainspotter!

Ask a Question