Dragon fruit

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Our dragon fruit started late for this season which should be May or early June. It's already July when it started blooming. Our suspicion is the drought that hit our country early this year. From what we heard on the radio (interview with an agriculturist) the season have been changing due to climate change so don't expect the plants to be fruiting in their regular period.Here is the first blooms of our dragon fruit. Photo is taken just this morning....
IMG_2869 dragon flower.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The flowers looked so beautiful and you will have a few dragonfruits to share :) I like them, but around here when I can buy them, they are expensive and have a very mild taste.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I have only tried dragonfruit once - when I was in Singapore! I quite liked it, but I don't see it sold here in Japan! Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Is Dragon Fruit something that re-occurs each year? Or does this fruit come from seeds which need to be planted each season? I ask because we have a vine plant, that looks similar to this here in my back yard. Each year it shows back up and produces these round, green like fruit with a white inside. A friend of ours one time had come over, picked the fruit, and proceeded to eat it. He called it by a name, which I can not recall. I was just wondering if this might be the same type of plant?

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Reaction score
Country
Portugal
I could never understand why it was called dragon fruit when the fruit looks nothing that resembles a dragon, but after seeing your photo, I now understand. The plant with it's flowers looks like a dragon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
About 2-3 months. They seem to be taking off now. These are the white varieties. I ordered a purple flesh cutting, and it should be arriving soon.

Ask a Question