Dragon Fruit

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
I was in the grocery store the other day and stumbled across a dragon fruit. It looks strange and almost scary to eat and the price was even scarier. Has anyone tried this fruit or better yet can you grow it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We have a fruiting dragon fruit, actually 2 plants - 1 in the front yard and another in the backyard. It is like cactus and I believe it is from the cactus family. From planting, the dragon plant bears fruit after 18 months. That's our experience. But the fruiting season is from July until October.

Here is the first fruit that we harvested the other day.
IMG_3951 first harvest for 2015.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I bought them here in my local market, and they are not cheap indeed! The flesh inside is quite tasty, sweet, and delicious. It looks like kiwi but in white color with black seeds. This is one of the exotic fruit that I can only treat us to once in a while.

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Oh wow, that's fantastic and what do they taste like as they did give us the opportunity to try it in the store but so many people wanted it and the store was a little cheap on the samples.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
We have a fruiting dragon fruit, actually 2 plants - 1 in the front yard and another in the backyard. It is like cactus and I believe it is from the cactus family. From planting, the dragon plant bears fruit after 18 months. That's our experience. But the fruiting season is from July until October.

Here is the first fruit that we harvested the other day. View attachment 7859

The dragon fruit looks magnificent....very sculptural. I'd love to try one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
@DeborahJane if only you live here, I would reserve half of the harvest for you. I have counted this morning that there are 7 fruits but the buds are more than 10. That's very prolific this season. And the small plant at the back also has 1 fruit and several buds.

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
I wanted to buy one to taste but they are expensive and for the price of one I could get a whole bunch of something else. So until the store gives me a free tasty I will not be having dragon fruit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I wanted to buy one to taste but they are expensive and for the price of one I could get a whole bunch of something else. So until the store gives me a free tasty I will not be having dragon fruit.

I really don't know what to say so I read your post to my husband. He was also speechless but smiling. Maybe if you will have the opportunity to come over, he said he will reserve all the fruits of the dragon plant for this season for you. Last year our veterinarian noticed our dragon plant and admired it. My husband gave him 2 ripe fruits and 2 planting materials.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
@DeborahJane if only you live here, I would reserve half of the harvest for you. I have counted this morning that there are 7 fruits but the buds are more than 10. That's very prolific this season. And the small plant at the back also has 1 fruit and several buds.
That is very kind of you Corzhens. I actually did see a dragon fruit the other day but unsure so I didn't buy it. I was telling my daughter in law, whose mum is Indonesian, and she said how tasty they are so next time I will buy one. She can show me how to peel it.:confused::). Her parents actually retired and live just out of Kuala Lumpur and grow some really lovely tropical fruit on their property.My son and daughter in law holidayed there this year and loved it so much they want to move there. They run a cafe here and my son loves to to cook and he loved the food there. If they do move there we will be visiting I'm sure.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The fruit is on the sweet side but when mix with vodka and crushed ice its really good.
Corzhens , A few ago I was in South America and had Dragon fruit with just about every meal and really enjoyed it, but in my growing zone it will only flower our season isn't long enough for them to set fruit so there grown in pots just for the flowers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
The fruit is on the sweet side but when mix with vodka and crushed ice its really good.
Corzhens , A few ago I was in South America and had Dragon fruit with just about every meal and really enjoyed it, but in my growing zone it will only flower our season isn't long enough for them to set fruit so there grown in pots just for the flowers.

I didn't know that dragon fruit can be mixed with an alcoholic drink and vodka at that. Maybe we can try that next week when the dragon fruits in our frontyard will be harvested. Same with you, there is a season of dragon fruit here and it doesn't bloom after October. That's why when there are fruits, we try to eat all the harvest, hahahaaa. But seriously, we have a list of persons to whom we would distribute the harvested fruits.

Reaction score

Here is the first fruit that we harvested the other day. View attachment 7859

It's so beautiful! t's a very long to wait for the fruit though, how can you be so patient to wait so long for the harvest :O ? I'd have a hard time doing that to be honest.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
The dragon fruit is pretty and sounds like it taste good also. I have not seen a dragon fruit in my local store that I know of. I may have seen it and not known what I was looking at. The next time I go to the store I will pay more attention and look for one of those pretty plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
It's so beautiful! t's a very long to wait for the fruit though, how can you be so patient to wait so long for the harvest :O ? I'd have a hard time doing that to be honest.

Yes, it is a long wait for the dragon fruit. But we have other fruit trees while waiting. Our mango tree bears fruits in March and another season in November. Our cashew tree bears fruit in May. We also have the starfruit which bears fruit once in a while. And our lemon trees are always fruiting. We harvested banana early this year and expecting another fruiting in the months to come. So that's it, waiting time is not boring.

Reaction score
Yes, it is a long wait for the dragon fruit. But we have other fruit trees while waiting. Our mango tree bears fruits in March and another season in November. Our cashew tree bears fruit in May. We also have the starfruit which bears fruit once in a while. And our lemon trees are always fruiting. We harvested banana early this year and expecting another fruiting in the months to come. So that's it, waiting time is not boring.

Wow, you guys so many awesome trees! I see that area of the world is perfect to grow almost everything one can ever imagine .O Very nice! I've always wondered what it would be like to have a cashew tree :LOL:

Ask a Question