Dragon Fruit?

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I ordered two dragon fruit cuttings on a whim. Anyone here have advice for when they arrive? What kind of fertilizers work best? How long does it typically take for them to flower? I have foliage pro and a fish/kelp fertilizer that I use for my citrus. Will these work for dragon fruit too?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So I ordered two dragon fruit cuttings on a whim. Anyone here have advice for when they arrive? What kind of fertilizers work best? How long does it typically take for them to flower? I have foliage pro and a fish/kelp fertilizer that I use for my citrus. Will these work for dragon fruit too?
Unless your citrus and dragon fruit will be grown in containers a dry fertilizer works best. Liquids do not last long and leach much much more than dry. Use any good organic fertilizer and all of your plants will love it. If your containers are large (5 gallons +), dry works better.

Reaction score
Country
United States
They will be in containers. I'm in zone 7, so they'll have to come inside in the winter. I do also use a dry fertilizer for my citrus, but my meyer lemon at least seems much happier when I supplement with liquid fertilizers as well. So far my kishu isn't as vigorous a grower and would probably be fine with just the dry fertilizer, but I still use some of the liquid stuff just to be sure it's getting enough nutrients.

The dry fertilizer I've been using is citrus tone. I also have holy tone that I use for my blueberries. Will one of these work for dragon fruit or is there something else you would recommend?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
They will be in containers. I'm in zone 7, so they'll have to come inside in the winter. I do also use a dry fertilizer for my citrus, but my meyer lemon at least seems much happier when I supplement with liquid fertilizers as well. So far my kishu isn't as vigorous a grower and would probably be fine with just the dry fertilizer, but I still use some of the liquid stuff just to be sure it's getting enough nutrients.

The dry fertilizer I've been using is citrus tone. I also have holy tone that I use for my blueberries. Will one of these work for dragon fruit or is there something else you would recommend?
Both are execellent fertilizers. However, citrus can be easily over-fertilized and you will end up with few blooms and an abundance of foliage. I don't know the Ph of your soil but Holy Tone has quite a bit of sulfur added to it. Citrus prefers slightly acidic to slightly alkaline soils so adding Holy Tone might be a bit much. If you are using store bought potting mix it is normally slightly acidic to neutral and dragon fruit like a slightly acidic soil.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I use Miracle Gro moisture control potting mix. For my blueberries, I mix it with peat moss, but for all my other plants I've had good results without adding much more than fertilizer. If the holy tone might be a bit too much, I'll probably start with giving it some citrus tone, seeing how it does, and adjusting accordingly if it seems to have problems.

Do you think I should consider trying a different potting soil? The miracle gro seems to work well for my other plants, but I've never tried growing a cactus before.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I use Miracle Gro moisture control potting mix. For my blueberries, I mix it with peat moss, but for all my other plants I've had good results without adding much more than fertilizer. If the holy tone might be a bit too much, I'll probably start with giving it some citrus tone, seeing how it does, and adjusting accordingly if it seems to have problems.

Do you think I should consider trying a different potting soil? The miracle gro seems to work well for my other plants, but I've never tried growing a cactus before.
I would not use it on the dragon fruit because of the moisture control additives. It "might" retain too much moisture for a cactus. Dragon fruit likes a sandy and very well drained soil. Also the MiracleGro has added chemical fertilizers in it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Okay. Is there a different soil you would recommend?

Thanks for answering all my dumb questions, btw! I appreciate the help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Okay. Is there a different soil you would recommend?

Thanks for answering all my dumb questions, btw! I appreciate the help.
For the dragon fruit any organic cactus potting soil will be fine. It likes sandy slightly acidic soil which most cactus soils are but if not acidic enough you can amend it with sulfur.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
As an aside, citrus, except for dwarf varieties will in time get too large to move and the dragon fruit plant even sooner. You might want to go to the search button and search for dragon fruit by forum member CrazyConure

Reaction score
Country
United States
My citrus are dwarf trees. From what I've read, it's possible to prune dragon fruit to keep them at a manageable size for indoor growing. Is this not the case?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My citrus are dwarf trees. From what I've read, it's possible to prune dragon fruit to keep them at a manageable size for indoor growing. Is this not the case?

Hope this link helps.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the links. I'm starting to get the feeling I may not be meant to have dragon fruit. First the seller sent me the wrong plant entirely, and then I received my cuttings, but they had no roots, even though the seller promised rooted cuttings. One looks like it might be okay, but then other seems like it probably won't make it.

I'm going to try again ordering from another seller. I also ordered some rooting hormone to try to save my cutting that is stubbornly refusing to root, but I'm not optimistic. Hopefully this other seller sends the correct plants and they do better. At least this time I'll be prepared and have rooting hormone on hand if these come without roots, too. And maybe it's better. This other seller had more varieties, so I ordered sugar dragon and purple haze cuttings, so if these do well I'll get to try a few different types.

Ask a Question