Dragon cayenne

Reaction score
Just took a picture of one of my pepper plants it's starting to produce after moving it from a very shady area. I still only get about 6 hrs of full sun but it seems to be doing a lot better. Has about 6 pepper on it already with more flowers seeming to bloom every other day.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 667
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
6 hours is absolute minimum. Hot peppers really need at least 8-12 to perform. That plant should be a bush. Here is a thought as I don't know where you are located. Maximize and multiply you sunlight by placing a tomato cage over the plant and affixing tin foil to the NW to NE sides of the cage reflecting the light you do get onto the plant. This method works while growing seedlings in a cold frame or hot box during the winter. You really need all of the sunlight you can get

Reaction score
Yea I'm probably gonna figure out a way to add a grow light to add light. I will have an aquaponics system soon I'll probably add it to that system

Reaction score
It is still early in the growing season so you will still have plenty of time to let them mature. These pepper plants can get a little bit out of control and produce hundreds of peppers per plant. I have grown them before with less than full sunlight and managed a good crop. The do love the heat and damp but not wet feet so make sure that they don't get soggy or dry out and they should do fine.

You will likely get more than enough for your needs. They freeze well but remove the seeds first if you aren't wanting them for cooking. They can be dried as well and tossed into a coffee grinder for pepper powder. The seeds can be dried and used as a spice or replanted in the spring for next year's crop.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I am not a pepper person, but dragon cayenne sounds like something I would want to stay very far away from, lol. Even before picking and using the peppers I think I'd be wary of the plant itself - that's if I used peppers;

Reaction score
Yea I'm just starting out actually so I didn't expect too much. I'll supplement some light and when I get my aquaponics systems up and running it should thrive

Reaction score
I had not heard of dragon cayenne and I use a ton of cayenne pepper. The plants are nice and green but as others have noted they are kind of scrawny and would need more light than they are getting now. If the plants are already setting the peppers then they must be okay, I wouldn't move them while they are setting the veggie.

Reaction score
These were my mother-in-laws I moved them before they set fruit I'd say they went from about 3 to 6 or 7 hrs of light. I'm in the process of cutting down the majority of a tree that blocks a good portion of the light in the later afternoon hours that plus a grow light should get them nice and bushy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wow, it looks great!:) Moving it from a shady area was clearly a very good decision:)
I love pepper plants. I grow them only for their looks though, I don't like eating spicy foods;)

Ask a Question