Dormant Or Dead?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought my first Rosemary plant online in June of last year. Once it arrived I kept it indoors as an indoor plant and I would take it outside to give it sun for a couple of hours and bring it back in. It struggled through the summer but I kept it watered every other day and it managed to pull through but once fall came, it's leaves started to fall off and the whole body became crisp and brown and I couldn't tell if it went dormant or has died, so I need help to identify it if it's dormant or dead.

Attachments

• 20230120_114902.jpg
    20230120_114902.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I bought my first Rosemary plant online in June of last year. Once it arrived I kept it indoors as an indoor plant and I would take it outside to give it sun for a couple of hours and bring it back in. It struggled through the summer but I kept it watered every other day and it managed to pull through but once fall came, it's leaves started to fall off and the whole body became crisp and brown and I couldn't tell if it went dormant or has died, so I need help to identify it if it's dormant or dead.
Scratch the bark with a knife. If any greenish color shows it is still alive. If not it is dead. Rosemary is an evergreen plant. I suspect you deprived it of enough light as it needs 6-8 of direct sun each day to be happy.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mine is outside (Southern England), I have three cuttings in pots, a couple of years old now, when it got very cold I brought two indoors, but the outside one is still looking okay.

Reaction score
Country
United States
She's dead RIP. It's easy to overwater rosemary plant in the winter.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's possible that your Rosemary plant went dormant in response to the change in seasons, but it's also possible that it died due to a lack of sunlight and/or overwatering. Here are a few things you can do to determine whether your plant is still alive:
Check for signs of life: Look closely at the stems and branches of your Rosemary plant. If you see any green or pliable growth, this is a sign that the plant is still alive. You can also gently scratch the bark with your fingernail to see if there is any green tissue underneath.
  • Check the roots: Carefully remove the plant from its container and examine the roots. If the roots are brown and mushy, this is a sign that the plant has died. However, if the roots are firm and white, this is a good sign that the plant is still alive.
  • Perform a scratch test: Use a knife or sharp tool to scratch a small section of the stem near the base of the plant. If the tissue beneath the bark is green and moist, this is a good sign that the plant is still alive.
  • If you determine that your Rosemary plant is still alive, you can try giving it more sunlight and reducing the frequency of watering. Rosemary plants prefer full sun and well-draining soil, so make sure the plant is getting enough light and that the soil is not staying too wet. With the right care, your plant should start to recover and produce new growth. If you determine that the plant has died, it's best to remove it and start with a new plant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Rosemary is a sun loving plant, and doesn't like to be over watered (which can lead to root rot.)

Ask a Question