Don't use tap water ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Hi,

This may be a super-noob question but I'm seeing a lot of posts that say don't use tap water for plants (atleast in some contexts). So what water to use in those contexts ?

Isn't tap water whats going out to the plants all the time when you water from your hose, sprinklers etc ? What are people doing that I need to know ?

Thanks,
Norm

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi,

This may be a super-noob question but I'm seeing a lot of posts that say don't use tap water for plants (atleast in some contexts). So what water to use in those contexts ?

Isn't tap water whats going out to the plants all the time when you water from your hose, sprinklers etc ? What are people doing that I need to know ?

Thanks,
Norm
Many towns put chlorine into their water supply. Chlorine really isn't all that great for plants but thankfully chlorine gasses off or dissipates rapidly. On house plants just let the water sit for a few minutes before using it and the chlorine will be gone. I wouldn't worry too much about it because there isn't that much chlorine by volume anyway for outdoor plants and gardens. It just goes away to soon for the small amount to do any harm.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
If your tap water is hard , ie. you get limescale on your kettle etc., then you should not use it to water acid loving plants like Azaleas and Blueberries. Otherwise there is no reason not to, except perhaps the cost if you are on a water meter as we are. As said the chlorine goes very quickly.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Norm, I shouldn't be answering your question because we have a very simple rainwater harvesting system for all the outside plants and gardens.
I do let tap water set for 12-24 hours before watering the house plants to let the chlorine off-gas, I've seen no problems from using tap water, other than I have to pay for it!

Ask a Question