Don't throw out those plastic easter eggs!

Reaction score
Easter maybe over, but I still have lots of plastic eggs. I pop the halves apart and use a nail to make a small hole in the bottom of each half. I then put them in empty egg cartons (I buy the big 5 dozen pack!). Then I fill them with potting soil and plant my seeds. It saves on buying starter trays. The egg halves help to keep the cardboard cartons from getting soft and deteriorating. They also make it easier to pull out one seedling at a time!

Reaction score
That's kind of cool. I usually just wash and reuse the plastic eggs for next Easter. I think I've been using the same set of plastic Easter eggs for the past 12 years.
They're just a way to present the candy to my daughter every year, so why bother to buy new ones? She doesn't care, as long as there's candy in them.

Reaction score
Ooo, that's a good idea. I have used the egg cartons in general before, but you're right that the cartons tend to get soggy and fall apart. This would be a great way to keep them separate.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This sounds like a really great idea. Unfortunately, I don't have any plastic easter eggs. I'm not even sure what do they look like. Here, where I live, people buy chocolate rabbits and little, fake chicks. They're just a decoration, there is no way I could use them in my garden.

Ask a Question