Don King plants?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have these in my front yard, as planted by the previous owners. I've been searching for info on them, but can't seem to find them anywhere. And since I don't know what they are, it makes it that much more difficult. I've been calling them Don King plants, as they remind me of a certain crooked boxing promoters bad hair style ;)

20140129_094214.jpg
20140129_094223.jpg

Note: the red you might see in these pictures is not part of the plants in question (they are kangaroo paws behind them). Anyway, what are these things? Please help. Thanks for any help.

Reaction score
Looks very much like you've got very healthy looking clumps of Isolepis - which is a clump forming grass and about the only grass - whose seeds heads form on the tip of the strand.

There are many varieties of Isolepis but the one you have, looks very much to me like - Isolepis Cernua - Live Wire which is commonly known as Fiber Optic Grass - as the strands especially in the early evening - resemble the threads of fiber optic lights. :)

Reaction score
I agree with gata montes, it looks very much like one of the varieties of Isolepis. They are pretty in the evening when they seemingly light up. I believe that they are a fairly durable plant.

Reaction score
I like the name "Don King Plant". After googling I agree they do look the "fiber optic plant" also know as Isolepis. But, we can rename it Don King ;) It's cute!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have not seen this plant in my area but I do like the name Don King Hair. He always had his hair standing straight up, like he was hanging upside down.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've just found a few pictures of Don King, I hadn't seen him before. Lol, it's hilarious, this grass really reminds me of his hair:LOL:

As for the plant, I agree with everyone here, it's Isolepis:) It looks really nice, I love ornamental grasses!

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, everyone. Armed with some new knowledge (given to me in this forum), I started Google-ing around again. And I'm not entirely sure it is Isolepis; the color is just a bit different, and it seems a tad thinner. I'm pretty convinced that it is actually Cape Rush. Here are a couple of good pictures of it:

cape_rush.jpg

cape_rush2.jpg

What do you think?

Reaction score
Although its sometimes very difficult to tell exactly what a particular plant is from just a photograph - the one aspect of your " Don King " plant that makes me think that it is an Isolepis - is the fact as I mentioned earlier - that Isolepis are about the only grasses that flower near or at the tip of the strand rather than partway down - so as you can actually see your plant in real life and know what it looks like - throughout the seasons - here are some comparisons for you which I hope may be of help

This is Isolepis Live Wire - but not as healthy looking as yours and somewhat younger too

Fiber-Optic-Grass Live wire.jpg

This is Chondropetalum or Cape Rush - which has as you can see some very distinctive markings

cape-rush.jpg

and different colored seed heads

chondropetalum_tectorum.JPG

which although they look as though they are at the tip of the stem - they do in fact - start partway down.

Oh by the way I wouldn't worry about color at this stage - as photographs unless taken yourself - rarely represent the true color and in all the above pictures - the grasses should in fact look slightly more grey blue than they do.

Reaction score
Thanks, gata montes. It was the distinct markings that gave me the confidence it is, in fact, Cape Rush (Chondropetalum tectorum). I should've done this sooner, but here are close-ups of mine that show the longer seed heads, and the banding marks. They also appear to have what looks like very small leaves part way down the stems, as Cape Rush seems to have. I think after seeing these you will agree that it is Cape Rush.

IMG_0459.JPG
IMG_0460.JPG
IMG_0461.JPG
IMG_0462.JPG
IMG_0463.JPG

Reaction score
Am so pleased that we've managed to help identify your " Don KIng " plant - although I do rather like the name that you've given it - but as I said - as you can see the plant in person - thought the distinctive markings would probably help you identify which one it was - so glad it worked - especially as I know - that there is nothing worse than having a plant that you are not sure what variety it is or how to care for it properly - so now you can enjoy it properly :)

Reaction score
Am so pleased that we've managed to help identify your " Don KIng " plant - although I do rather like the name that you've given it...

Ha ha! Yeah, I think I'm going to stick with Don King plant. I'd have a hard time using 'rush' as a noun, anyway, and I don't even think I can pronounce Chondropetalum tectorum--well, I probably can, but I don't think I want to ;) Thanks, again, for your help.

Reaction score
Ha ha! Yeah, I think I'm going to stick with Don King plant. I'd have a hard time using 'rush' as a noun, anyway, and I don't even think I can pronounce Chondropetalum tectorum--well, I probably can, but I don't think I want to ;) Thanks, again, for your help.

Your are welcome :)

Haha - I would agree - I think that you should stick to your plants new name and in fact when I ever I see a Chondropetalum in the future - am sure that the name " Don King " is the one that will roll off my tongue far more easily than Chondropetalum Tectorum :D

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

I agree with your determination. It is Small Cape-rush (Elegia tectorum, formerly Chondropetalum tectorum) in the Restio Family (Restionaceae). All Elegia and the majority of species in Restionaceae are native to the Cape Provinces of South Africa, though there are also many species native to Australia, and a few native to tropical Africa, Madagascar, tropical Asia, New Zealand, and South America.

Restionaceae is a family related to, but distinct from, the true Rushes (Juncaceae), Grasses (Poaceae), and Sedges (Cyperaceae).

Ask a Question