• dolphin plant 007.JPG
    dolphin plant 007.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 1,093
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
The pictures are a little blurry but I can see it's a very pretty flower:D . I love its color, it's so vivid! I also like the shape of it, it looks really interesting. It's exciting when our plants bloom, isn't it?:D

Reaction score
Wow! I have never seen or heard of a dolphin plant.. thanks for the pics..
Here is a clearer picture from the web.. I was too curious to wait.. LOL
1317693970_a25e6d7d99.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's so cute! :D These flowers really remind me of little dolphins. Is growing this plant difficult? Does it need anything special?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
so far a friend gave me a cutting and was easy and she said it would probably not flower for a year and 3 months later i have flowers .Everything seems to love my kitchen window .I started all of my lotus plants there

Attachments

• dolphin plant 016.JPG
    dolphin plant 016.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 949
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I just bought air plants on ebay and can't wait to get them

Reaction score
This is a lovely plant. I was wondering if the dolphin plant was an indoor or outdoor plant and got my answer from google. One article states that the dolphin plant is also called the "goldfish plant." However, I've had a goldfish plant before and the blooms do resemble a small goldfish and are not as large as the blooms of the dolphin plant. It appears to be the same plant except the blooms are obviously different. It's primarily an indoor plant that needs lots of sun to thrive. A teaspoon of Epson Salt is supposed to assist in the blooming.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The Dolphin Plant pictured above is one of several different species or hybrids of Columnea in the Gesneriad Family (Gesneriaceae).
The genus Columnea is native the New World tropics, where in response to pollination by hummingbirds (Trochilidae), many species have evolved curved, flaring, tubular flowers, often in hues of red, orange, and yellow.

The name Goldfish Plant is best reserved for another genus of Gesneriad endemic to eastern Brazil: Nematanthus, in which the flowers often have a narrowly constricted entrance that bears a fanciful resemblance to the puckered mouth of a goldfish (Carassius auratus).

To add further confusion, many gardeners nowadays are more familiar with another Dolphin Plant, also known as String-of-Dolphins
(Senecio x peregrinus, or alternatively Curio x peregrinus), in the Daisy Family (Asteraceae), in which the succulent, lobed leaves of the plant bear a noticeable resemblance to a leaping dolphin (some Odontoceti, Cetacea).

Ask a Question