Dog-Toxic

Reaction score
I think it'd be a real good idea to have a sticky of plants that are toxic to dogs (and cats.) I KNOW the hassle I went through of planting, and returning plants after I found out my dogs could die if they were to inadvertently eat it. Now, I know not everyone's dogs just go and eat plants, but if your puppy is chasing a butterfly who lands on that plant...well...

Anyway,

Peace Lily is one I know for sure, along with Calla Lily and those tiny things that look like baby's breath which I can never remember the name of...sigh.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't have pets but it is good to make people more aware that some plants can be dangerous to pets and little people. Must of us do not think our beautiful plants could hurt a person but as pointed out some of them are dangerous. I have a peace lily and never give a thought to the plant being dangerous to pets or children if it gets in their mouth.

Reaction score
I really agree with you, they should have sticky of that over here. I posted something about that a long time ago in a different forum, sadly there are sooooooooooooooo many plants out there that can kill or at least harm your dog in many ways. I was surprised to read calla lilies are toxic to dogs too! It seems almost everything is toxic to dogs :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm a dog owner too. Thank you for creating this thread:)
Unfortunately, one of my favorite plants is poisonous to dogs (and to humans). I'm talking about Lily-of-the-Valley:

ostrowiec-konwalie-2.jpg

It's a beautiful plant, but also really dangerous:(

Reaction score
Claudine!! THAT was the other plant I couldn't think of! I placed an order for about 20 of them to go along my walkway to my larger garden and had to cancel the order when I had received an e-mail about summertime toxic plants.

Also, Abqu...did you just make a Walter White reference? I think you diiiiiid! And thank you for the link. I may take some type and copy/paste it out so it can be easily accessible.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm sorry to hear that you had to cancel your order:(
I truly love Lily-of-the-Valley, it's one of my favorite plants and I simply can't imagine a garden without it, so I grow. I fenced it in though. This way, my little Yorkie doesn't have any access to toxic plants:)

Reaction score
Also, Abqu...did you just make a Walter White reference? I think you diiiiiid! And thank you for the link. I may take some type and copy/paste it out so it can be easily accessible.

Yeah, I did. Lily of the Valley was a centerpiece in one or two episodes, particularly because of it's toxic nature.

Reaction score
I didn't watch the show as religiously as some, but that was a pretty good show. Taught me some stuff hehe. I guess if I would have payed more attention, I'd have known it was toxic in the first place and not bothered to purchase any.

Ask a Question