Does my Eastern Redbud look ok?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had this redbud planted last May and the redbuds here are now blooming. My tree is blooming heavily with the exception of a section of several small branches on the right hand side of the tree in this picture. Hoping they will leaf out but concerned these branches are dead. If they are, is that an ominous sign? Should I prune them this summer or wait? Thanks for the help!

rb2xl.jpg

rb1xl.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Those branches might be dead, but I wouldn't worry about the rest of the tree just yet. Redbuds lose lower branches fairly regularly. To determine if they are dead, scratch the bark. If it's green underneath they are just slow to bloom. If it's brown, keep working your way down the branch until you find green. Cut off all the brown and then step back and see what you've got left. Prune to shape.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
They are a weedy tree and do that commonly. That does not mean you have no root fungus, but if you do or more realistically did last year, it is still fairly cool there so that activity has not really cranked up. Typically heat and humidity are components of spread. A fungicide of potassium phosphite drenched and sprayed foliarly would end any phytophthora or a host of other fungi should you be concerned. Those big leaves seek the sun and if you notice that the dead is away from the sun then that is basically how they grow. And they lean, so an earlier support might help that future posture.

Reaction score
Country
United States
They are a weedy tree and do that commonly. That does not mean you have no root fungus, but if you do or more realistically did last year, it is still fairly cool there so that activity has not really cranked up. Typically heat and humidity are components of spread. A fungicide of potassium phosphite drenched and sprayed foliarly would end any phytophthora or a host of other fungi should you be concerned. Those big leaves seek the sun and if you notice that the dead is away from the sun then that is basically how they grow. And they lean, so an earlier support might help that future posture.
We had a really hot, dry summer last year. The tree did develop cercospora late last summer when I brought a leaf into my nursery. They told me it wouldnt affect the systemic part of the but plant but they recommended three applications of Immunox this spring, which I began 4 weeks ago when the buds began emerging.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
We had a really hot, dry summer last year. The tree did develop cercospora late last summer when I brought a leaf into my nursery. They told me it wouldnt affect the systemic part of the but plant but they recommended three applications of Immunox this spring, which I began 4 weeks ago when the buds began emerging.
Propiconazole is systemic too so that is good. I use the agri-fos around veggies because its rated as a organic for such purposes. Swiss army knife I guess. It handles cercospora as well.

Ask a Question