Does anyone use solar lighting as part of their garden design?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Country
United States
I've can across several solar lights at flea markets and have gotten several compliments on how I've incorporated them in my flower gardens. I don't think they do much for the flowers though, or do they?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I read something recently that said that artificial lighting might actually have a harmful effect on plants and the "wildlife" of our gardens. It recommended using light that was activated by motion detectors instead. There can be some truth to this because of how poinsettias need time in the dark to bloom. That said, I have a few small solar lights in garden #2. They put out good light early in the night, but they fade out after a few hours.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I had a couple of the stake solor lights in my garden a couple of years ago, it was just a little light, but it made the area look nice. I found that the stake lights do not work very long, or maybe I just bought some cheap garbage ones. My parents have a whole set that they got from Costco and he uses them in the bushes to line the driveway.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I had a couple of the stake solor lights in my garden a couple of years ago, it was just a little light, but it made the area look nice. I found that the stake lights do not work very long, or maybe I just bought some cheap garbage ones. My parents have a whole set that they got from Costco and he uses them in the bushes to line the driveway.
I, too, found that they didn't last very long. The light they put out was minimal, and if we had a day or two of overcast weather, they didn't work at all. After about a year or so, they stopped working all together. They were pretty during the day, just like having a gazing globe or sculpture would be, but they weren't functional at all for me. If I ever decide to put lighting in, or get the money to do it, I'll go for the low voltage (wired) kind.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Country
United States

I, too, found that they didn't last very long. The light they put out was minimal, and if we had a day or two of overcast weather, they didn't work at all. After about a year or so, they stopped working all together. They were pretty during the day, just like having a gazing globe or sculpture would be, but they weren't functional at all for me. If I ever decide to put lighting in, or get the money to do it, I'll go for the low voltage (wired) kind.

Did you know that solar lighting is charged by rechargeable batteries? When I found that out myself I bought me a battery charger so that when they begin to dim I could recharge them. Doing this I also found that they stay lighted longer for at least a week.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I never thought to get a charger and just charge the batteries up. Great idea. I thought all of the energy should come from the solar panel. I wished I lived somewhere where solar energy was much more effective. It just does not work well in a place that has a lot of rain and overcast days.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Country
United States
Yes, I was at Menards looking for items I saw on sale there and one of the employees educated me on solar lighting. There do not operate on the sun alone. The sun actually charges the battery which should be inside if new. When I charge my batteries the lights seem brighter to me.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I never thought about charging the batteries up. I also thought the sun should be enough to keep the batteries powered up. Our lights have been broken by the lawn care person and need to be replaced. A few that are still in the ground need to be recharged, I was thinking to just replace the batteries not charge them up. Good tip.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Country
United States
Just a suggestion. If you decide to get a battery charger buy a universal one. There is one charger (Energizer) which is limited to Energizer rechargeable batteries only.

I have purchased extra rechargeable batteries so it's like a revolving door. When some are out and being charged I have the others ready to put in.;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I only like them if they're rigged up in a creative manner. The generic stakes are a bit boring. I've seen people gut the stakes for parts and creating colored globe lights, ect for the gardens and I think it's really creative and charming.

Ask a Question