Does anyone know how to ?

Reaction score
Country
Italy
How can I create new Branches in a Tree??

Without removing the existing tree, I don't want to create another plants, I just want to let my damaged Ficus Tree to make some new branches in the bottom-mid part of the trunk, that has being damaged.. I got this tree from a restaurant and was in the bathroom without any light and got some cocciniglia.. after that I safe the tree just the top part regrowth. The tree is in pot 30cm of diameter, the Ficus is tall 1m70cm.
I remember that there was a tecnique to create new branches but I can't find it anything online..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
You will have to graft branches on the desired locations. Look up videos on YouTube regarding grafting. It will be much more helpful than trying to explain it here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I would be curious to know if abrading the protective layer of skin in certain places and putting the phytohormone called auxin on the area might stimulate a point growth in that area. I understand ficus are vigorous growers generally.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Fig tree cuttings take very easily. Air layering is a bit tricky. I have never done one on a fig tree. You can only do it spring and autumn to achieve good result.

Air layering is easy. Find a node and scrape the skin just below or above the node and put a little bit of growth hormone powder and wrap it round with either MOIST (ie. squeeze, not more water coming out) sphagnum moss or clean compost (sterilised and cooled). You could wrap it round with foil or black plastic. Using this method, I have successfully got about 10 plants from my acer. But fig is very easy to propagate by using cuttings, a much easier method. I myself would stick to cuttings. I have now several figs with roots.

Another way to do this is find a more flexible branch and scrape the cambium layer off under and above a node and bury the whole node and part of the plant in a pot with moist compost. That way, the mother plant supplies nutrients to the area and there is no danger or rotting to area. And there is no expenditure involved in buying moss or hormone or the chance that a slug or snail wants to find a warm refuge in your air layering pocket.

This kind of layering is best for clematis, or other climbers such as wisterias,

In air-layering, I actually followed him, but he made a hash of the first one!

Please look at this page.

Last edited:

Ask a Question