Does anyone know how to build a lady bug habitat?

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to make a Lady Bug habitat?

I read somewhere that it is easy to build your own Lady Bug habitat. I think it would be a great project for my kids and I to work on together. They love learning about a bug's home and how they help the plants grow.

If anyone has any other ideas about building a habitat for critters in a garden, please feel free to post (as long as it does not have anything to do with spiders :eek:).

Reaction score
Last year we had a bunch of lady bugs but we didn't do anything special - I mean they were coming inside on our clothes there were so many. I know they like to eat aphids but you don't want to introduce aphids to your garden for the sake of ladybugs. I am interested in hearing about how to do this, my kids love ladybugs!

Reaction score
Found this PDF online that seems to be a teaching lesson but it has alot of interesting information on questions to ask the kids to get them interested and involved. Thought it might help. Also it says in there all you really need is a jar and some leaves and twigs (wet in jar) and a ladybug...and some asphids to feed. I found that they also sell small habitat domes to grow them in ;) http://www.anvilknitwearcsr.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Stage1_FARM_LADYBUG.pdf

Reaction score
Found this PDF online that seems to be a teaching lesson but it has alot of interesting information on questions to ask the kids to get them interested and involved. Thought it might help. Also it says in there all you really need is a jar and some leaves and twigs (wet in jar) and a ladybug...and some asphids to feed. I found that they also sell small habitat domes to grow them in ;) http://www.anvilknitwearcsr.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Stage1_FARM_LADYBUG.pdf
What a great lesson plan on lady bugs! Sometimes I think I enjoy this stuff more than my kids. :D I heard it was easy to create a habitat but I didn't think it was that easy. Thank you so much for sharing!

Reaction score
What a great lesson plan on lady bugs! Sometimes I think I enjoy this stuff more than my kids. :D I heard it was easy to create a habitat but I didn't think it was that easy. Thank you so much for sharing!

You are very welcome! I love the idea and may do a habitat myself, as ladybugs are one of the few bugs in the world I don't mind...lol.

Reaction score
That's an interesting PDF. I never thought about it, but that might not be a bad idea to harness, or raise Lady Bugs from a jar. I'd rather do it from a jar because as Dconklin stated, I see them outside all the time and I wouldn't want too many inside my home, unless they were in their own little environment. They are colorful little critters and seem to be harmless, unless they get ah old of one of your houseplants. I don't think they would do a whole lot of damage to your plants outside, but I could be wrong.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Thank you for sharing this PDF. I'm going to build a Lady Bug habitat too:D I'm sure it will be a lot of fun. I love Lady Bugs, they're the most adorable little creatures.

Reaction score
The PDF did a good job of teaching how to make a habitat and how to get children involved in the process. EHow also has a way to make one and it is short and concise.

Reaction score

Awesome share, warmweatherwoman! I might try it in the future when I need to attract a lot lady bugs to my garden :) I've seen a lot of those in my in laws' garden, so I don't think it will be hard :)

Ask a Question