Does anyone know about plant breeding?

Reaction score
I'm mostly interested in roses but info about any flower would be nice. I'm just curious about how I would go about doing it and how it works

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
With miniature roses, it's not very complicated. All you need to do is to take a cutting with three nodes and put it in soil. Water it from time to time and keep it away from direct sunlight. If everything goes as it should, you'll notice first leaves after a few weeks.
I started a few miniature rose bushes from cuttings:D
Unfortunately, I still don't know how to root a cutting from a rose from a florist:(

Reaction score
I'm mostly interested in roses but info about any flower would be nice. I'm just curious about how I would go about doing it and how it works

Am not altogether sure what you mean when you say "plant breeding " - are you asking about how to propagate plants ie - make more of them or are you asking how to breed a unique new variety or strain ?

Reaction score
A friend of mine is really good at that, if you're talking about taking clippings and rooting them. He just calls it "Rooting." It looks like he just takes a basic clipping from the plant, puts it in water until it sprouts a root, then starts it indoors. Then, he introduces it to the outdoors in a container for a day or two before planting in the ground. For him, it seems to work out about 8 or 9 times out of 10.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
A friend of mine is really good at that, if you're talking about taking clippings and rooting them. He just calls it "Rooting." It looks like he just takes a basic clipping from the plant, puts it in water until it sprouts a root, then starts it indoors. Then, he introduces it to the outdoors in a container for a day or two before planting in the ground. For him, it seems to work out about 8 or 9 times out of 10.
Has he ever tried to root a rose from a florist? It's one of my dreams to do it!:) Unfortunately, I tried to root more than 10 roses already without any success:(

Ask a Question