Does anyone have any advice on sharpening a Mower blade.

Reaction score
My mower blade is getting quite blunt over time. I don't need to use at the moment as the grass was kept low before the frost started to set in, but I noticed it last time I did use it. I looks impossible to release so it seems as if I was need to hold the mower upside down for filing to be possible. It's a push mower so oil spillage wouldn't be an issue.

Has anyone ever sharpened a mower blade before that could give me some advice?

Reaction score
I guess there are a few ways of going about it, personally I would be using my Dremel, the attachments for it are cheap enough even if you have to buy a new one everytime you need to sharpen, no doubt an angle grinder would do the same job but that would mean having to take the blades of the mower..

I do remember doing this once with an old oil stone it worked but took me over two hours, the Dremel takes 20 minutes.

This is from the Australian Dremel site, but I am sure it would be the same in any country: http://www.dremel.com/en-au/videosandhowto/projects/Pages/detail.aspx?pcpid=34#.UtOWT56Sx8E

Reaction score
I have used my Dremel for my mower blade for years and as Cjk85 mentioned the kit to do it with is relatively inexpensive. You can also take it off and take it to a place that sharpens them; its relatively in expensive to do it that way.

Reaction score
My dad's preference is to take the blades off and using a grinding wheel on them. This is probably the best way. I've used my dremel and freehand sharpened my blades, but I wouldn't recommend that. I want to get a grinding wheel, as it's a lot easier and steadier.

Reaction score
My dad's preference is to take the blades off and using a grinding wheel on them. This is probably the best way. I've used my dremel and freehand sharpened my blades, but I wouldn't recommend that. I want to get a grinding wheel, as it's a lot easier and steadier.
I'm curious to know how it could be easier/steadier with a grinder, than with the Dremel attachment I linked to above, it leaves very little room for error.

Reaction score

I ended up doing this actually, because I already had to tools available. I got quite a good result in the end. I'm hoping I won't have to do it for quite a while though. I would look into getting that tool, but I need to sharpen so infrequently I'm not sure it's worth it now. I would have considered it when I first bought the mower though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I always sharpen mine on my bench grinder
It only takes a few minutes to take off sharpen and put back on
I use a hand grinder on my bush hog blades

Ask a Question