Does any one have an Aloe Vera Plant in their home?

Reaction score
Country
United States
As a child my mother has this Aloe Vera plant in the house for many years. If we got hurt she would cut one of the leaves and put the gel on our cuts. Does anyone still have this plant?

Reaction score
I do and although I don't have any growing inside my house - I do have quite a large amount of Aloe Vera plants growing outside in my garden both in the containers and planted directly in the ground too :)

Reaction score
I have an aloe vera plant growing in a container outside. I've used the aloe vera gel for burns but I've always been curious about drinking it.
I've heard that aloe vera gel, mixed with juice to disguise the bitterness, has some health benefits, but I've never tried it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
My mother used to grow aloe vera plants indoors when I was a kid. They were really big. As far as I remember, she kept them in one of our bathrooms. I don't know where are they now.
I often use aloe gel on my skin:)

Reaction score
I have one as well. It is very handy as the fresh juice from it is far more effective in treating burns than the aloe vera gel they sell in the store, which hardly does anything. I find the aloe vera plant is very easy to take care of and I am very glad I have it. It just seems like a must have for every home.

dan

Reaction score
Country
United States
As a child my mother has this Aloe Vera plant in the house for many years. If we got hurt she would cut one of the leaves and put the gel on our cuts. Does anyone still have this plant?
I have aloe vera chinensis which remains small. It soon fills a 6 in pot with offsets. Good plant to keep for burns and skin irritations.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had one for years in my office and I totally neglected the poor thing. It lived forever though despite me forgetting to water it. I recall using it on cuts but I didn't really feel like it helped too much.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My mother had them when I was growing up and I always liked them, but no, I don't have any of my own just yet. They can be very useful though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have an aloe vera plant sitting in the corner right now. The bugger's as hardy as they come and a nice lively addition to my room. My grandmother used to use it for medicinal purposes, but I personally haven't used my plant for anything but decoration.

Reaction score
I have an aloe vera plant that i keep indoors and at times i'll put it on the balcony for a little sunlight but it spends most of it's nights indoor as it's a plant that's great for purifying the air.

Reaction score
I do not, but it is currently at the top of my list. I appreciate the effectiveness it has to offer

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I grew an aloe vera plant for several years indoors. It thrived. I used the gel topically and eventually arrived at the conclusion that is did absolutely nothing. Minor burns and wounds obtained no benefits from the applications of the gel. Controlled experiments indicate that it is useless as a healing agent. However at best it is a placebo.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
There's actually some signs that it might have healing properties. Two known published medical studies show that there's signs of efficiency for 1st and 2nd degree burns and for other skin related conditions such as psoriasis and clearing up gential herpes lesions. It's pretty much ruled as useless for radiation treatment, but it shows promise to the other ones. However it seems that there hasn't been a whole ton of human testing/experimentation which is surprising considering how popular it is. Other studies have been done on the plant's biochemical make up, potential toxicity and its effects on animals. I'm personally interested in possible exploration with aloe vera as treatment for psoriasis and genital herpes lesions because those are two possibilities I never knew that were explored for study.

http://www.pha.nu.ac.th/nathorn/articles_PDF/13 Aloe.pdf
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1313538/pdf/10885091.pdf

Reaction score
Country
Canada
My office has an aloe plant that has grown pretty large. It definitely comes in handy in the summer seasons when there'd be the daily occurrence of sunburns! The healing effect of the gel may be a placebo but it is much appreciated! We're not fans of how it seems to stain our skin for a long period of time.

Ask a Question