Does a large apricot tree damage property?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there anyone who is an expert on apricot trees?
I am worried that cracks on the inner walls of my cottage are appearing due to the overgrown tree.

There are vertical cracks on the living room wall. This is a stone cottage with plaster walls. Any advice would be appreciated. The tree is about 12 ft from the house and the tree itself is probably 35ft high?
apricot-tree.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Apricots have an extensive root system, so it's possible it may be damaging your cottage. The roots will spread quite a way looking for water. Is it possible for you to dig close to the cottage to see if the roots are present?

I would also suggest you have a buildings surveyor check your cottage.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Roots can take moisture from under a house and cause subsidence, but from the look of your grass your garden is like mine, not much moisture anywhere. I can't really imagine that much can go wrong with a stone built, single storey, cottage, the leaves blocking the gutter in Autumn might be more trouble, but, yes, a good surveyor might know better.

Ask a Question