Do you transplant your strawberries ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5a
Country
United States
I live in Wisconsin, and obviously it's pretty cold here. It normally gets down well below zero. One of my friends said that I need to transplant my strawberries into a different container and keep them covered in the garage. However every year I simply leave them where they were all spring and summer long in my pallet. They grow every year and sprout new runners as well. Am I putting them in danger by not transplanting them?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I live in Wisconsin

I'm from Wisconsin too. I'm not quite sure if it depends on variety, maybe others would know. My strawberries are native to Wisconsin so they're used to the conditions of winter and I don't do anything with them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
never heard of transplanting them ever. quiet the opposite, they like to really settle in before they bare fruit. heard it takes two years for a plant undisturbed to bare fruit. If you bought the right zone, all should be just fine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
Perhaps there are different varieties of strawberries. I have growing in the ground without heat. In winter, -20. Remontant strawberry fruits on the shoots of the year. Berries appear in the beginning of July until the autumn frosts continuous fruiting. She is not afraid of the cold. Flower buds do not freeze. I did not transplanting.
Strawberries "Selva" - American selection. Not afraid of the cold.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My strawberries stay out in the garden all winter and have nice large berries on they every year, I just cover them lightly with some leaves and forget about them until spring, the leaves make great mulch for them to grow in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
My strawberries stay out in the garden all winter and have nice large berries on they every year, I just cover them lightly with some leaves and forget about them until spring, the leaves make great mulch for them to grow in.
I have heard of covering them with straw also. but the leaves a great frugal idea @Fernsdaddy .. humm maybe I should put some in this year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
http://strawberryplants.org/2010/05/strawberry-varieties/

This link certainly worth the look. As I was quickly scanning it, did not note a zone number, however did not open further the sites suggested for locations . And one would hope that local nurseries to your area do not sell any that do not work in your climate as they are suppose to remain in the ground through winter. This link shows an huge variety, and if creative you can plant several types and have strawberries all year. Went back to link, easy to use, just hit the "Recommended by state (USA)' then you hit your state, and a whole list of them pop up that will work for your state. there is one for Canada too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have heard of covering them with straw also. but the leaves a great frugal idea @Fernsdaddy .. humm maybe I should put some in this year.

I don't like using straw as a cover for my plants be cause it seems to mold and not rot like leaves do, with leaves you have a better chance of not getting mold or a fungus, I just lightly cover them with leaves so they will rot faster.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I live in Indiana, and it is pretty cold here too. I have never transplanted my strawberries in the ground for fear they wouldn't come back up after all the snow and low temps. I also keep them potted and put them in our milk shed which is heated. I have never had a problem so far, with them coming back to life with a new set of berries yet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Strawberries grow only in Baguio City, that city atop the mountain range. The Philippines is a tropical country so we cannot expect strawberries to thrive. However, we have a friend in Cavite, that province beside Metro Manila. They have a strawberry patch and they had a good harvest last year. Now their strawberries are again fruiting and we are being invited for the harvesting. It is a wonder how they were able to raise strawberries.

Ask a Question