Do you think all these seeds would be safe to use for microgreens?

Reaction score
Country
United States
White millet, red milo, red millet, whole wheat, canary grass seed, "feed oats", cracked corn, oat groats, green split peas, safflower seed,

Did the cracked corn give it away? :) It's birdseed. So obviously I wouldn't plant the cracked corn. But I have this dove mix and sometimes I dump it out of the bird bowls just to give them fresh stuff, and that's wasteful cuz I'm just throwing it away right now. And I bet a bunch of those seeds would be good for microgreens. But I don't want to do it as a mix if there is somehow anything that has toxic leaves in there. But that doesn't really make much sense to me, for them to sell something that would sprout up toxic plants. That don't make no sense.

So it's a good idea right? A clever use of throw away stuff?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Sounds like a great idea to give yourself salmonella poisoning.

Don't use seeds that birds have already been eating, walking on, pooping in as your food.

Possibly dump the seeds out under the feeder and let them sprout as a fodder feed for rabbits and the like if you want to feed those rodents too.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Another point, although we eat tomatoes (for example) the leaves of the plant are mildly toxic to humans and dogs, and rhubarb leaves are also poisonous, although we can eat the stems. It is always best to check each and every plant in the mix - and how can you be sure that it`s only the seed on the label? I bought seeds from a seed company last year, and several seeds in the order produced plants that were not listed on the packets. Be careful.

Ask a Question