Do you think adding items for drainage is necessary?

Reaction score
I personally only think adding things for potted plants is necessary if it does not contain a hole at the bottom of the container. This is especially good for beginner gardeners, who may be prone to over watering. When I first began, I used small rocks to help, so I didn't kill all of my plants. I've saved some pistachio shells for when ever I feel like starting again.

If you do use stuff like that for drainage, what is your favorite?

Reaction score
It does help in that the plant roots are not sitting in water all of the time. Generally I use broken pieces of the clay pots or small rocks. You don't need anything elaborate, you just need to use something that is non-toxic and will last.

Reaction score
I personally wouldn't advise anyone to plant anything in a pot without drainage holes - as even if you place crocks in the bottom - as there is no way of the water escaping if there are no drainage holes - each time the plant is watered the more the water builds up until eventually the plant meets an untimely demise - due to the fact that its roots were permanently sitting in water.

All plants need good drainage in order to thrive and for that reason - I always make sure that all my pots have plenty of drainage holes together with some form of extra drainage material like broken crocks, pebbles or even gravel and when I have either very small pots or ones that adding crocks would make them to heavy to lift - I use fly screen or some form of mesh to line the bottom of the pots.:)

Reaction score
Probably the worst thing that you can do for a plant is to not only overwater it but have the roots sitting in water. When the roots are constantly sitting in water it basically is drowning. I always have drainage holes in my pots and always have drainage material in the bottom.

Ask a Question