Do you stake your pea plants?

Reaction score
This is the first year we have tried to grow peas. They are snap peas. My youngest daughter really wanted to try to grow them so we started them from seeds. We didn't have time to start them inside tho because I was told that peas like cooler weather and when we got the seeds it was in the beginning of May. So we planted the seeds directly outside hoping for the best. They are coming up nicely too so she is so proud!

Do you need to stake up pea plants or are they strong enough to hold themselves up when the plants start producing the peas?

Reaction score
I do. I have to net them against the birds too.:mad:
Oh I didn't realize birds liked them :( We have birds that stop by the yard looking for bugs throughout the day. They don't usually stay long tho because there are a lot of wild cats around too so maybe I will be safe - hopefully!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Usually use upside down branches, some nurseries sell them ready cut as pea sticks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
The sparrows round here are cheery chirrupy thugs.
I use the previous year's raspberry canes, which I've cut out, for support.

Reaction score
That's a very good idea, I'll keep the raspberry canes when I cut then this year. For now I've made a sort of frame and tied strings down to each pea plant for it to climb up. I've also hung up some old cds to keep the birds away.

Reaction score
Usually use upside down branches, some nurseries sell them ready cut as pea sticks.

Can you use regular tree branches or are these special branches you buy? We have some smaller branches piled up in the corner of the yard from the neighbor's maple that fell off in high winds. We were going to get rid of them, but if I can use them - even better!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Anything that the peas can get a grip on, i'm currently using some wire mesh frames. Small branches are ideal.

Reaction score
Anything that the peas can get a grip on, i'm currently using some wire mesh frames. Small branches are ideal.

Oh ok, so they grip onto things like the cucumber plant does? I see a little string looking thing growing on them and was beginning to wonder if the gripped onto things. I guess I better keep a close out on them so they don't grip onto other plants :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Yep, they won't get away unless the tendrils get hold of something.

Reaction score
Yep, they won't get away unless the tendrils get hold of something.

I remember my cucumber plants the first year grabbed onto various other plants. I didn't know as much about plants then so I lived and learned! Pea plants don't get as tall tho, right?

Reaction score
I've grown peas which got to 8ft tall; a variety called Alderman.
The short ones are dwarf varieties, similar to dwarf beans.

Oh I may have a lot of tall plants then :) I never grew them before and just assumed (first mistake) that they only grew to be about 3 feet tall or so. We didn't really read how tall they got on the package of seeds, my daughter wanted to try them so we tried them.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'd agree, most cultivars these days have been bred for machine picking, about 3 to 4 feet. The older varieties were much taller.

I had a squash that made a break for it & climbed up next doors leylandii, the fruits made it look like a Christmas tree:D

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Cross posted there, do you know what variety you got?

Ask a Question