Do you spend a lot of time in your garden?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Barbados
How much time do you spend in your garden on any given day? Do you regard gardening as a hobby?

I know of some people who treat gardening as a hobby and spend lots of time in their garden. I think gardening can be very therapeutic since it is an outdoor activity and it is a job that keeps one close to nature. People who spend a lot of time tending to their gardens usually have some beautiful looking gardens and lawns. Recently I have not had a lot of time to spend in my garden. What about you?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
I spend 8 - 12 hours in my yard or doing yard related things during the week and maybe 8 - 12 hours or so on the weekend. Yard related things are like researching plants, updating planting spreadsheets, planning plantings, reading books about plants and all... ;)

Funny thing is most people would probably think there is a yard someone should spend some time in. All that time I spend and it still looks pretty rough. I spend too much time playing with the green house. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
I spend in the garden all the free time in the summer. And part of the whole holiday vacation or if i do not plan to travel. In the winter I live in a city. But I have a lot of houseplants care for them.:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Brazil
Recently I have not had a lot of time to spend in my garden. What about you?
I have plenty of time, and no garden. But I grow few plants in pots.

How much time do you spend in your garden on any given day?
Few minutes.

Do you regard gardening as a hobby?
Yes, I do.

I think gardening can be very therapeutic since it is an outdoor activity and it is a job that keeps one close to nature.
I agree. Especially when you have a lonely life as mine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm lucky I can spend my whole day in the garden, I putter around all day. I'm up by 7:00 am and stay out most of the day.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Do you regard gardening as a hobby?

Yes, gardening is a hobby, but I don't consider my garden to be a hobby of mine. I actually just talked about this the other day; I don't consider what I do to be "gardening", since my garden mainly takes care of itself. Beyond initially planting the plants and seeds, I don't do much of anything to my garden. I have weeds here and there that I pull out, but they're becoming fewer as my plants outcompete them more and more each year.

People who spend a lot of time tending to their gardens usually have some beautiful looking gardens and lawns.

I'd suggest that beauty is not based on the time spent managing it. I'd even go as far as saying people who need to spend a lot of time on their gardens have done something wrong that has made it more difficult than it needs to be. Gardening is easy when the right plants are chosen.

Of course, there are also those who don't need to spend a lot of time on their gardens, but choose to as a way to use time, and that's ok too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
To be honest, I spend just a little time in the garden just to check the fruits that are nearing harvest and, of course, to admire the plants and trees as well. But I am more focused on my pets which are my priorities particularly during weekends when I give them a bath that takes me almost half a day. But occasionally, I help my husband trim the plants but not in weeding because that is a tedious task which I relegate to our housemaid.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
At this time of year, definitely not as much as I like. I'm the stay at home parent, and it's cooooold outside - so I can't be keeping my 1 year old outside with me all day! Weekends tend to be when we get the most done, when my husband and I can alternate who is watching our little one and get a few things done!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Most of my garden time is canning outdoors. Actual garden work is harvesting, preparing for canning which is done outdoors, weeding as necessary, periodically watering again as required,bug control which is minimal. I have about 1800 square feet,167 square meters, of vegetable growing area. Time actually spent in the garden on the ground is probably an hour per day average. This is various lenghts of time periods of activity. My time is usually efficiently parceled out.

Reaction score
In my home country my mother is still the one who spend most of her time in our garden even at her old age now. As soon as she wake up early in the morning she is already there picking up the dried leaves and flowers and is already sweeping the surroundings because she always wants that her garden is clean and beautiful. Then at around 10 am in the morning it is her routine to water the plants and the lawns. And in the afternoon at 4 pm she is again checking the garden if there is a need for repotting some plants and other things that she can do our garden. But we had a gardener who goes every weekends to pull the weeds in our lawn and to make some trimmings of the plants. This is the everyday gardening activity of my mother who had the green thumb in our family.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I don't have a garden yet. My plants grow in pots, indoors. I water them twice a week, it takes me less than 5 minutes to do it;)
But I spend a lot of time just admiring them:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I spent about an hour in my garden since I have a tiny area in the summer. I mostly weed to keep them from taking over the flowers I have planted in there. My mint is the biggest problem since it multiplies too fast in my garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Belgium
I love gardening and spend a few hours every week in the garden. I love it on a sunny day (even in winter), with the dogs running around, but I hate to go outside when it is a rainy day. Sometimes I have to because there is work to do and we do need rain. Gardening can be very relaxing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I spend 8 - 12 hours in my yard or doing yard related things during the week and maybe 8 - 12 hours or so on the weekend. Yard related things are like researching plants, updating planting spreadsheets, planning plantings, reading books about plants and all... ;)

Funny thing is most people would probably think there is a yard someone should spend some time in. All that time I spend and it still looks pretty rough. I spend too much time playing with the green house. :)

A kindred spirit. I am continually playing around with my little hobby greenhouses too. I have had lots of fun finding and working with things that run on solar power. Things like fans and pumps and lights. Too much fun. I think if I had any wood craftsman skills I would also be adding whirligigs to my yard.

When the spring comes I like to spend lots of time our there weeding and tidying or just goofing around with my toys. Have to guess about 2 hours a day. Minimum.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Every year my dad and I plant our garden in his backyard. He has a ton of land and it's something we love to do together. I wish I could spend everyday it our garden but since it's up at his house I try to go there at least 3-4 a week. It is the most relaxing thing being in your garden. When I am there I spend at least 4-5 hours there. Helping my dad with other yard work as well. I can't wait to be able to get our garden going again this year!

Ask a Question