Do you put your fireplace ashes in your garden?

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you have a fireplace putting the ashes from the fire can help your garden and enrich the soil.

I also saw that the ashes can help to keep slugs away from your plants, I don't know about that but it is worth a try.

What do you do with your ashes from the fireplace?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
If you have a fireplace putting the ashes from the fire can help your garden and enrich the soil.

I also saw that the ashes can help to keep slugs away from your plants, I don't know about that but it is worth a try.

What do you do with your ashes from the fireplace?
If this is true I definitely want to try it! I have a fireplace in my house and I think this would be a great way to utilize the ashes!

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is true. I don't have a fireplace in our home but we do use ashes from time to in and around our garden plants. We heard from many years ago that it enriches the soil and we can attest to the fact that using it on tomatoes and other vegetables along with some flowers, the plant leaves were a brilliant green and the vegetables were very healthy looking and yielded a good amount. We don't know if the ashes alone did this, but after that we kept using it when we had some.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We have a wood stove that we use occasionally in the fall and winter, and we also have a barbecue grill (hey, we're in Texas and if you don't grill, you get dirty looks from the neighbors!). I have a metal can that I put the ashes in, and spread a canful on the vegetable gardens. The onions, potatoes, and garlic seemed to especially benefit from the occasional ash dump.

Reaction score
We don't have a fireplace at the moment, sadly :( But if we did we would surely use the ashes in the garden, I had already read somewhere else about the different uses of ashes in the garden, but sadly we don't.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When we have camp fire outside, the pit would be full of ashes after a while. We usually dug them up and just spread them all over the garden. It will enrich the soil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We don't have a fireplace but when we grill using charcoal, the ashes are reserved for the compost bin. Our compost bin is actually just a hole on the ground (inside a planter box) where we throw leftover vegetables, fruits, and other food items. Covering it with ashes is a good idea for the ashes seem to hasten the decaying and thereby enriching the soil which we use as fetilizer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ashes are used to raise the Ph in acidic soils and should not be used in soil that has a Ph of 7 or more or soil that has an excessive amount of potassium. Also it should not be used on acid loving plants like Azeleas or blueberries.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
I've read both pros and cons. No I'm not that tuned in to have confidence I would be applying at a correct ratio and taking any steps to ensure it was needed, useful, correctly prepare or correct kind.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Woodash is a wonderful fertiliser, and I swear by it.
It is great for all fruit as it slow-releases potassium in a manner that plants seem to love, as well as potatoes onions and garlic, as stated previously.
Yes it does raise soil pH, but, if you use it in conjunction with acidic fertilisers like animal manure, this is not a problem, as little is needed anyway.

It is said to be the case that all you really need for your garden is woodash and urine.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
No fireplace, but I do occasionally put the ashes from my fire pit into the garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I remember reading somewhere that ashes make a great fertilizer. I wish I had a fireplace!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have often put the ashes from the grill into the garden when we had a BBQ it did not seem to harm the garden at all.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've never heard of this either but it is worth a try. Do you notice a difference in your plants after you add it?

Ask a Question