Do you put ice blocks to your indoor plants?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Barbados
I have seen people putting ice blocks on their indoor plants rather than watering them? Is this a good idea? I suppose it would take longer for the water to go through the soil when using ice blocks and this could be a good way to avoid over watering the plant. I see it as a good method too, since it could save time taken in actually standing and watering the plant. So, what method do you use when it comes to putting water to your indoor plants?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I water my plants in a traditional way twice a weak. Using ice blocks sounds like a good idea, but I don't think I'll ever give it a try. My freezer is really small.
Also, I just love my watering can, because it's very pretty:)

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I read an article that suggested putting ice cubs on the plants as a way to water them if you are going to be away from the plants for awhile. I have never applied that method to my plants, I water them twice a week to keep them from getting too dry.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
That's interesting, I'd never heard of that strategy before! I definitely think it would be good if I was going on vacation, for instance - as a slow watering method to ensure they were still getting some water if none of my neighbors could do it for me. Right now though I just normally water my plants with a watering can!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Not indoor. but yes on outdoor hanging flowers. Most hanging flowers, regular water will run right through, so ice cubes are a good way of slowly watering hanging flowers baskets.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You can also mix some minerals in the water that you are using. There are so many ways that you can improve on this method. That is why I think that it is such a great idea.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Using ice blocks is an interesting innovation which I have not heard. Indoor plants are usually few and should not pose a challenge to water them since they are protected from direct insolation. I would suggest that putting wet sponges around the plants would suffice if there is moisture in the soil the plants are growing on. Depending on the moisture differential, water would diffuse from the sponges to the soil.

Ask a Question