Do you perform breeding experiments?

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Its not hard to breed plants in the garden. These are usually in the same genus can be cross pollinated to confer positive characteristics like drought tolerance, and disease resistance. These are success stories of farmers who have pioneered an excellent breed of a crop from their backyard. A certain individual in my jurisdiction has developed am apple variety called 'the Wambugu apple' which is selling like a hot cake. Another area where one can make an impact is grafting.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Only inadvertently--the plants crossbred on their own, and I was the beneficiary. In 2015 I planted Matt's Wild Cherry tomato (turned out to be a very tiny tomato that was a pain to pick) and a Husky Red cherry tomato. They cross bred and this year I ended up with a larger cherry tomato than the Matt's which still had the flavor we liked with the Matt's. The Husky Red was a rather bland tomato.

Ask a Question