Do you make your own fertilizer?

Reaction score
This is going to sound strange and I can't remember where I heard it from. But I have been making my own fertilizer. All you do is shove some weeds or any type of greenery into a jar and add water. Then you let it sit in the sun for two days. You mix the juice from the jar with water and huzzah you have fertilizer.

Well apparently it does work, my garden turned into a jungle of growth production. Not sure why that worked, but I would rather not question it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I can see where this could work. I have done a similar thing using alfalfa pellets. I had a big washtub outside, and put the alfalfa pellets in the tub, which was full of water, and then you just let it sit for several days. It ferments, and will smell bad. When I was ready to water the plants, I just dipped out a bucket of this and put some around the base of the plants. Then I take the hose and water like usual.
I had read about using the alfalfa pellets when you plant a rose, or other plant, and just kind of adapted this into the water method.
I was thinking about taking some clover and other greens and running them through the blender, and using that, which is pretty similar to what your method is.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This is going to sound strange and I can't remember where I heard it from. But I have been making my own fertilizer. All you do is shove some weeds or any type of greenery into a jar and add water. Then you let it sit in the sun for two days. You mix the juice from the jar with water and huzzah you have fertilizer.

Well apparently it does work, my garden turned into a jungle of growth production. Not sure why that worked, but I would rather not question it.
You are doing a very basic limited compost tea. Go to the Organics forum. There are threads there all about compost and compost tea and a lot of other organic information

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I read something about this recently as well. I use epsom salts, banana peels, aspirin, coffee grinds, egg shells, and leftover coffee for feeding my plants, but I have yet to make "weed tea". I usually just compost unwanted wild plants, though I have poured cooking liquid and water from washing fruit and vegetables onto plants.

Reaction score
Yeah I usually mix it together in one of those spray containers and lightly sprinkle it on my garden. And you are right, the smell will almost make you throw up, but that is common as it is decaying plant matter. I call it "Doody Juice" Lol.

Ask a Question