Do you live in the tropics?

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Hallo there! I live in the tropics and its the onset of the rainy season. I have a small piece of land which I intend to utilise to a maximum. I have the option of short term, long term and medium term crops. What would you advise me to plant if you live in similar conditions? Honestly, I am confused. Do you have honest answers?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Hello @remnant, i live in the Tropic of Cancer about 19 degrees north of the Equator and our rainy season is just wrapping up, well traditionally it should be wrapping up, it is harder to predict now than it used to be. How many months does your rainy season normally last? I would look into growing super food crops, Moringa oleifera (aka the drumstick tree) comes to mind. I would keep the trees not more than 10 feet (3 meters) tall for easy harvesting of leaves, flowers and fruits. All parts of the tree are edible with high vitamin and mineral content and the trees are fast growers in the right climate. I assume you are looking for a cash crop to sell? or will your crops be for personal use? That makes a big difference regarding what to plant. Moringa is used all over the world in the form of vitamin supplements and tea so you would have a large market to sell to. If you are wanting personal use food crops ideas i'll rearrange my thinking in that direction.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Philippines where I live is a tropical country and right now with the rainy season, we have nothing except for the usual ginger and red pepper. All other vegetables are waiting for good weather because they just die due to too much water particularly the green leafy vegetables like lettuce or the Chinese version called pechay. We were done with the cropping of corn as well and our extended garden is lying idle for now. By the way, the soil there is very sticky so it is not a good time to plant.

Ask a Question