Do You Have a Root Cellar?

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I can remember my mother having an area in the basement she used to store food called a root cellar. I saw this post and it brought back all of those memories. Any one here using a root cellar to save this years harvest?

"A root cellar is a great place to store your potatoes, carrots, and beets. You get to eat fresh food all winter. Canned, frozen, and dehydrated food is good, but fresh food tastes the best. Root cellars are in the ground because root vegetables like potatoes, carrots, and beets need to stay Moist & Cool."

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I do not have a root celler, but I have a storage room off of the basement that stays cooler than the rest of the house. It is a little storage room that houses the forced air and water heater controls. I have some onions in there right now and I am testing to see if they will last longer in there than they do in my pantry. If all works out well, I will eventually store some more veggies down there.

Reaction score
No, sadly we don't have that, but hopefully we might have one in the new house we move to. It would be nice, since I'm planning to learn to grow a lot edibles and make my own conserves. It sounds like a lot fun :) I want to learn to do all that!

Ask a Question