Do you have a Composting Den at home?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm just about to get one of these to start composting at home in the garden and I'm concerned, doesn't it attract rodents?
I've watched lots of youtube videos describing how to compost at home with one of these recommended, but none mention if rats and mice will be drawn in. I do not want to have an infestation of mice cause of food scraps being in there. Does anyone have a better suggestion for a closed compost bin that's cost-effective for a less than rich person? WIth the focus being on not attracting rodents.

540+L+Compost+Bin.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We have a similar bin, actually two so one is active and one is finished and the compost is being used. We live on a farm, and have no trouble with rodents being attracted to the bins, which are near the gardens, not the house.
One suggestion about that bin--it's going to be devilish hard to get the compost out. A bin that is open on one side is easier to add to and take from.
Compost Bins.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Lucky enough to have protected woods behind us, of about 10 acres, so we drag leaves there, its a huge pile about 120 paces from our back door. My neighbor has the typical one, he puts some food waste items in it, that sometime draws night creatures, but he's pretty far from us so no worry.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I forgot to mention that no meat, no dairy goes into the compost. Those are rodent and raccoon magnets. Garden trimmings, vegetable peels, those are fine.

Ask a Question