Do you get paid to recycle?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
In the community that I live in, we all recycle and the garbage company comes each week to pick up our recycle cans. As a result of recycling, we get a little money knocked off of our bill based on the weight of the community efforts. Do you get paid to recycle?

Reaction score
I wish!! I find it amazing that people freely provide recycling plants with the raw materials for their product lines. I used to work at a recycling plant and they make big money, with very little to no cost of acquiring the raw materials. There should be some kind of compensation to those that provide the recyclables, like it's done for things like paper and metal.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Yes:) In my city people who recycle pay smaller bills. It's a good way to save some money.
It encourages everyone to care about the environment, so in my opinion it's a wonderful idea.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Not that i'm aware of but our council dishes out free bags of compost once a year.

I save all my aluminium & steel cans and take them down the scrap dealers for cash.

Reaction score
no money for plastic paper or glass in my neighborhood. my mom and siblings who drink soda accumulate the cans, and I am able to recycle them for money.
Although we don't make money off of saving paper / cardboard, my partner and I burn with it on the garden , or use cardboard for smothering weeds in the garden.
And my grandparents save their plastics and they also collect our plastics to have recycled.

Reaction score
Nope, nothing like that. If you recycle, good for you, but nobody will be surprised if you don't. That's how it is here.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Not that I know of. We recycle once a week in my area but we don't get anything for doing it. I do see people who do not recycle, everything is trash.

Reaction score
We don't even get money here for recycling cans. I wish we did. We have one bin for recyclables and one bin for rubbish. They are collected on alternate weeks. No monetary benefit to recycling here.

Reaction score
Even though we have to pay a yearly fee for the cost of recycling and have strict laws regarding how and what is recycled where I live - as we don't have our garbage collected and are required to distribute it to the various recycling sites ourselves - there are very definitely no monetary benefits to recycling here or rather there aren't for the average householder.

Reaction score
Nope. I'm jealous of communities that have those special vending machines where you put in recyclables and it spits out a voucher for money.
I can always use a few extra cents here and there. I also like the vending machines where you put in bottles for recycling and it spits out food for stray dogs.
I saw it on Facebook this morning. What a nice way to promote recycling and feed a nearby homeless dog that is lingering around the machine.

Reaction score
I wish we did. Everyone here recycles in our town too. They handed out huge trash cans that are blue for everyone in town. We recycle so much that our bin is always full. I never used to recycle when I was younger because it cost money to do it back then in the small village that I lived in. I think it is amazing how much things can be recycled and it helps us to not throw away everything. It may be crazy but we go through garbage bags much less than before. It feels good to recycle too.

Reaction score
Um, no. In fact to recycle some things you are not supposed to put in the trash, you actually have to pay.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have never seen or heard of the vending machines but it sounds like a great idea. I also get a cheaper bill based on my recyclables, but I wish I could get cash instead. I would probably have the cleanest neighborhood ever.

Reaction score
Country
United States
There should be compensation for recycling. These companies make a lot of money depending on our recycled goods. I think this would encourage many others to follow through with it as well. It does take a lot of effort to get everyone in the family on board to ensure all the items that can be recycled are.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
No! I wish that we got paid to recycle though. It would encourage me to do it a lot more. I don't recycle at all right now, everything just goes in the garbage unless it's a large box/container. Living in an apartment its hard because everything has to be carried down stairs, outside, etc so it is easier just to throw everything in the garbage and go. I know it's bad and I do feel guilty but so time consuming.

Ask a Question