Do you gamble on the weather?

When you plant, do you risk your plants getting frosted, or do you wait until it is safe?

• 1. I wait until it is safe to plant.

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • 2. I risk the plants getting frosted.

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Do you monitor your soil's temperature? I'm in Texas and the weather changes frequently. We've had a few cold blasts and my veggies are in excellent condition. I monitor soil conditions along with average air temperatures. I've never made a mistake with this technique. I do the same thing every year. Have yet to lose a vegetable.
I google the soil temperature. There are places that keep track of the soil temperatures and post them on-line, This is PROBABLY done for the convenience of the farmers.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I google the soil temperature. There are places that keep track of the soil temperatures and post them on-line, This is PROBABLY done for the convenience of the farmers.
What I've learned is like weather soil experiences micro climates due to surface factors such as daily sun exposure, ground cover, soil type and composition, and environmental micro climates. So personally I would not trust soil temperatures from a source at distance as their soil conditions are most likely not going to be the same.

Reaction score
This year I had to, the weather was all over the place in the Northeast and one day it was in the low 80s, the forecast for the rest of the week was similar and within 24 hours the prediction changed to freezing temps with light snow. In past years I would usually guess right in terms of when to plant, but this year I have lost a lot.

Reaction score
I'm in central Texas too, and I won't gamble anymore. I have lost too much over our weather doing the hokey pokey the last few years especially. This year I waited until after Easter, that's always about our last one. Heck, even last week we had a couple of dips into the 40's at night that would not freeze, but tender things depending upon what they were would not like it.

Reaction score
Living in the North of England, UK i always feel as if i am gambling with the weather even though i dont really mean to. The weather here is so unpredictable that we cant do anything else not to :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I don't really have to worry about frost where I live. This past winter was pretty harsh, even some of the plants in my greenhouse perished, but I usually just plant whenever I feel like it. I rarely start plants form seed anymore because it takes so long and not all seeds will germinate.

Ask a Question