Do you enjoy gardening by yourself or with someone else?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I prefer gardening with a friend. We get to catchup and we get to hear each other's stories. But there are days where I feel under the weather and prefer to garden by myself.

What about you guys? Enjoy gardening by yourself or with someone else?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I love gardening with my boyfriend, because we always have a lot of fun together:D His presence makes everything better. Unfortunately, we don't live together yet, so most of the time I have to take care of my plants alone.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I'm with CanadianLoriz--I don't want anyone yammering at me or getting in the way when I garden. Even if I'm just weeding, I prefer to be alone and left alone. It's my time to commune with plants and chickens (who don't yammer, just cluck a lot).
Occasionally my husband ventures into the garden to help with setting up tomato trellises or doing some serious cultivation. He also does all the tilling (because the motorized equipment is HIS--I have no aptitude for starting/using things like that). But, bless his heart, when I say I'm going out to the garden he just says, "Have fun."

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
I garden by myself sort of, I have a pet tortoise that is my gardening companion. We spend hours outside digging and planting, my tort stays very close in case I unearth something he might find tasty. Over all though gardening is my time to depress and recalibrate. There is something magical about my hands being in the dirt. I listen to music and putter back and forth sometimes till the sun goes down, in the winter I start dreaming of what I can do this coming year. Can't wait till the catalogs start to come in

Reaction score
Somehow i think i enjoy gardening by myself as this gives me sometime to just look into my life and just think about things that i can do differently to bring about more success in my life and t times i just want to enjoy some peace and quite all by myself.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My husband and I like to garden together- it's a great way to spend time together, cut down on the amount of work that either one of us has to do, plus we get the benefits later on of something we grew together :). I don't mind gardening on my own every now and then, but I much prefer us doing it together.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I like when my husband is available to work in the garden with me, but I think I prefer being alone when gardening - although my boxer dog is always welcome! : ) It's such a relaxing time and a time to think. I'm looking forward to those spring/summer days in the garden!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have always concerned gardening to be a solo effort. Whenever I see people in their patches, they are usually alone. It really isn't more women than men, or vice versa. I used to help my mom as a kid, but I think she was trying to instill some "old-fashioned values" on me. I have always worked the (irregular) gardens I have had as an adult, all alone. But that is generally how I like my hobbies. It makes it more relaxing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I always work alone and enjoy listening to music while doing it
When my wife does do something out side I do like it though

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
We have a garden service that does most of the work in our garden on a weekly basis, so I don't really do much "normal" gardening. Instead my garden involves taking care of my bonsai trees. Most of the time I work on my own but the advantage of having my "garden" in pots is that I'm able to take a few trees in the car with me, and I regularly attend bonsai workshops where we work on our own trees but are effectively working in a group. I'd love to be able to do that more often as, since losing my Dad in September, I'm finding working on my trees gives me too much time to think about my problems. Hopefully that will change in time and I'll be happy gardening on my own again.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I like gardening alone. Sometimes my wife can join me, when she is free. When I have a lot of work to do then I usually call my friend to help me. I am usually keen while gardening that is why I usually do it alone.

Reaction score
I grew up having a garden in my home country. My parents both loves the nature that is why when they built our house they see to it that there is a space for a garden that will add attraction to our house, But my mother is the one who is everyday maintaining and taking care of our garden. Before when I was not still married sometimes I enjoy gardening together with my mother and our gardener. I already miss our outdoor garden in my parents house. In my own house I only had an indoor garden that I am taking care all alone and we had no big space outside that is why I decided to put my plants inside our house.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I enjoy gardening with my husband and our housemaids. One time we had 3 housemaids and they cleaned up the backyard of small rocks and stones that interfere in the health of the plants. My husband had the spade while the 3 housemaids have their own tools. And me? I handled the camera to take their photos. It was really fun during those days in the garden. But I still prefer the harvest season especially with the mangoes.

Ask a Question