Do you dry your herbs?

Reaction score
Not a lot of people are a fan of dried herbs VS their fresh counterparts - like basil for example. But there are some recipes which call for them. Do you dry your own herbs or prefer buying them pre-dried on the supermarket? Is there a difference?

Reaction score
I'm working on drying my own herbs in the future, but I need to get a few things before I try doing that! There are many ways to do it, I plan to use the sun as my ally, some people use the oven, but I don't think that's a good idea. Mostly because that process is too fast, and most nutrients will be lost, plus this can affect the flavour!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I air dry some herbs, especially thyme and marjoram. I don't do anything special, it's very easy. I simply bundle a few branches together, tie them as a bunch and hang it upside down. And I wait:)

Reaction score
I used to dry my own herbs, in much the same way as claudine in bunches, hung upside down, but as I'm not a great fan of dried herbs, I prefer to store my herbs as ice cubes, because that way they taste just like fresh herbs :) but saying that, dried ones, especially home grown ones, would be far better than none at all.
Shop bought dried herbs verses home grown - home gown always wins for me, much more flavor.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I'm starting to dry more herbs so I will have them over the winter. I have such an abundance at times it would make sense to dry some so that I always have some available, though I mostly plan on using dried stuff for tea. I have saved some dried fruit peel to use for that purpose as well. I'm just not organized about it though.

Reaction score
I dry my own when I have it. I have had quite a bit of success with basil and it turns out awesome. I have tried to dry cilantro and I did not like how it turned out. I am trying to keep cilantro growing year around for me but I am not having a lot of success at that. When I buy it at the grocery store I will normally use half and then dry the rest of it. I have not tried to dry anything but these two herbs. I need to experiment more.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I recently started experimenting with freezing herbs. I chop them up and put them in a little container about the size of an ice cube and then cover them in olive oil. I've done it a few times so far with garlic and with basil. It works out really well, especially with the garlic.

Reaction score
I recently started experimenting with freezing herbs. I chop them up and put them in a little container about the size of an ice cube and then cover them in olive oil. I've done it a few times so far with garlic and with basil. It works out really well, especially with the garlic.

I have heard of this. I did it once with basil and used water and not olive oil. It worked out well for me but I had to be careful not to put too much into a dish. I would use it for pizza and spaghetti sauce mostly. I miss my fresh basil. It smells so good.

Reaction score
I agree with Claudine. I have air dryed Sage and Basil as well. Just hang em and let em go. I have to try the ice cube tray trick though. I love having fresh herbs but still my home grown dried outshine anything store bought.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have heard of this. I did it once with basil and used water and not olive oil. It worked out well for me but I had to be careful not to put too much into a dish. I would use it for pizza and spaghetti sauce mostly. I miss my fresh basil. It smells so good.

I hope mine survived all that wind yesterday! It's cold this morning and I am not inclined to go out and check on it. Things are going to have to warm up a bit first, but at least we weren't expecting freezing temperatures overnight.

Reaction score
I dry quite a few although my space is limited. Bee balm, mints, rosemary, thyme, basil, borage, and cat nip are the main ones. I usually have a ton of bee balm because I cut it back at least twice a summer. Its medicinal properties are many and it makes a nice tea when combined with one of the mints. I have five different mints: peppermint, spearmint, apple, pineapple, and chocolate, all wonderful for a tea - especially the chocolate.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I wish I was growing bee balm; the last time I went to the garden center looking for it they were all out. I haven't tried growing borage in ages! I had planned to grow catnip this year, but never got around to getting the plants. I added a few fall plants, but have decided to hold off with anything new for a while. I am waiting to see if the cold snap left me any herbs (that bitter wind was fierce) worth harvesting, but I probably need to go out and cut as much as I can and hang it to dry.

Reaction score
I hope they survived too. We have had such a cold snap and it is so early! In the 20's at night here all week. We are experiencing a warm up right now and its in the 40's and 50's. We are also expecting rain. I am glad for the warm up even if it does involve rain!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I've been super busy with speed dating stuff, but I plan to get out there tomorrow and survey what is still alive. I have a lot of basil that needs to be transplanted and the lavender desperately needs a new home. I hope I haven't lost either of the two lavender plants in the back yard, the one in front has been holding its own, and we had a really good rain the other day so I'm optimistic.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States

This seems like a great idea. My daughter has purchased bottles of Olive Oil with the garlic or basil in the bottles. The seasonings are great to cook with. I will have to give your idea a try.

Ask a Question