do you do anything to prepare your lawn for next spring?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I know that farmers often till and use fertilizer before the ground freezes. This helps prepare the field for the next spring's planting. Is anything done to lawns to keep the grass healthy and vibrant when it begins to grow? I have noticed grass seed is usually put down in the spring. can it be added the fall before, did give it a head start?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Farmers don't really add too much that will provide explosive growth in the fall. A lot of times that is pH adjustment from using acidifying fertilizers and stuff like that.

If vibrancy is what you are after, use a fertilizer with uncoated urea right before a .25 to .5 in rain. If you time that right and have a little luck it will soak in and keep it nice for about a month or until the next real hard rain.

I don't like to plant seed in the fall. Just store it in a cool location and when it is time put it on and take real good care of it. You will get a much more uniform stand and less weeds which are always problems.

Also don't use a seed mix with annual ryegrass it just becomes a weed.

Ask a Question